D2, 2002, TD5, door locking mechanism

boaterboy

The door locks on my vehicle usually operate in the standard way, ie first press on the key button unlocks the two front doors, the second press unlocks the three remaining doors.

In the last few days the first press on the key button only unlocks the off-side front door, ie not the near-side front door. 

The second press on the key unlocks the three remaining doors but still not the near-side front door.

Any thoughts on how to cure, please?

At a guess the actuator on the near side is either weak or broken.. have you drowned the lock in WD40??

Has the pop up button got bent? that can make opening / locking difficult, you'll probably need to remove the door card to check (button will then wobble about freely!)

My gut feeling is the button is bent if this has suddenly started happening, if it has stuck on occasions then I'd go for the actuator!

On 11/28/2017 at 9:40 PM, boaterboy said:

The door locks on my vehicle usually operate in the standard way, ie first press on the key button unlocks the two front doors, the second press unlocks the three remaining doors.

That's not standard at all, there are two settings: SPE(single point entry) which unlocks the driver's door on first press and all the others on second and non-SPE which unlocks all the doors on the first press... IMO if your's works differently there's some wiring bodge on the circuit, put your ear on the non working door and unlock woth the fob, if you hear any activity there you need another actuator

Thank you, miggit & sierrafery, for your input.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, sierrafery, the vehicle does have SPE, I'm not sure how I could have been thinking otherwise. I assume that the driver door only unlocking as a first stage is a safety feature to ensure no uninvited entry to the passenger side when unlocking the driver's door? I will certainly do as suggested. I can open the passenger door manually from inside. The odd thing is that with all doors unlocked it is then possible to lock them all, including the passenger door, using the key button.

Thank you, again.

that would point at the actuator being weak, or the lock is in need of a good WD40 session! But as I said that rod that connects the pop up button can get deformed and cause the same sort of faults... If you remove the door card just check that the symptoms are still there, if they are then lock / actuator, if it's working then bent rod!!

Edited by miggit