300tdi turbo ?

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

Earlier today I decided to remove the turbo from my Def 200tdi manifold as I need the bolts for my 300tdi manifold to fit the new turbo ( bought used 300tdi exhaust manifold ) which came without fixing bolts, anyway whilst I had the 200 manifold / turbo in my hands I noticed the actuator lever on the manifold traveled more than the actuator lever on the 300 manifold ( actuator removed from 200 manifold ) is this right or is there a problem as I'm :unsure:

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, Cornish Rattler said:

Hi guys

Earlier today I decided to remove the turbo from my Def 200tdi manifold as I need the bolts for my 300tdi manifold to fit the new turbo ( bought used 300tdi exhaust manifold ) which came without fixing bolts, anyway whilst I had the 200 manifold / turbo in my hands I noticed the actuator lever on the manifold traveled more than the actuator lever on the 300 manifold ( actuator removed from 200 manifold ) is this right or is there a problem as I'm :unsure:

Anyone

I suspect they should be quite different.  Look more at the amount of rotational movement on the waste gate  arm rather than the linear movement of the rod.  I would expect to see about 90 degrees, but I've never looked that closely myself, so it's an educated guess.

Yeah on the 200tdi Def manifold the lever moves I guess about 1" maybe slightly more and the one on the 300tdi manifold only goes about half the distance but you can't see inside that part of the manifold, I know when I did my last series Disco 200tdi you could see a flap I think it was inside that the lever operated so I assume its working fine and once the new turbo is fitted and when I get the engine running it should be ok I hope

20 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah on the 200tdi Def manifold the lever moves I guess about 1" maybe slightly more and the one on the 300tdi manifold only goes about half the distance but you can't see inside that part of the manifold, I know when I did my last series Disco 200tdi you could see a flap I think it was inside that the lever operated so I assume its working fine and once the new turbo is fitted and when I get the engine running it should be ok I hope

That flap is the waste gate.  It opens to allow exhaust gas to bypass the turbine, thus controlling the amount of energy going into the turbine and subsequently how much boost is made by the compressor.  The actuator senses the boost and moves the waste gate further open as the maximum boost is reached.  I'd expect the gate to be able to open to about 90 degrees.

9 hours ago, Snagger said:

That flap is the waste gate.  It opens to allow exhaust gas to bypass the turbine, thus controlling the amount of energy going into the turbine and subsequently how much boost is made by the compressor.  The actuator senses the boost and moves the waste gate further open as the maximum boost is reached.  I'd expect the gate to be able to open to about 90 degrees.

That sounds about right probably is about 90 ish degrees.