Help..odd problem

DiscoHere

My 2003 TD5 just came through the Irish MOT (NCT) and passed.  No issues following the tests and vehicle ran for 24 hours.  Refueled and it also ran for 20 miles.  During this time I did get a strong smell of diesel and thought i had overfilled the tank.    Then all of a sudden it started to limp and run very roughly. When taking off from lights it ran like it was a manual with oil on the clutch.   I immediately though it was the fuel pump or maybe even the injector wiring loom.  It got steadily worse for a mile or 2 and then when I stopped it would not start.  i persevered and it did eventually start but continued to run roughly. 

I decided to limp it home and during the 13 mile journey there it came back to normal and had continued to run as normal.,..........

Any suggestions?

Hugh 

Ok the second phase of the problem.  Car drove without problem and acting normally for 50 miles then all of a sudden started spluttering and missing.  No matter how much I pushed the accelerator the car would not move beyond a crawl.  Then it died fully and would not restart.  

15 minutes later started and drove again without a problem.  

I have checked and there are no fuel leaks that I can see.  I have even checked the fuel pump connections and they all appear to be fine and no leaks there either.  The pump makes noise when the ignition is switched on and car starts as normal.  if anything the engine might just be hunting for fuel as it sounds a  little rough.  (could be my imagination though)

I have checked the wiring loom and it is as dry as a bone at the ECU. I am not surprised at that as I had replaced the loom about 6 months ago

I am pretty sure it is a fuel problem but all suggestions welcome.  Can the fuel pump act up intermittently and cause such problems?

Hugh 

If you can get it plugged in that's the best place to start (Had similar rough running issues when the big capacitors in the ecu that fire the injectors fail - often comes up as "topside switch failure")

Otherwise my guess would be injector seals, very common to misfire/cutout and then restart when everything has cooled.

+1 for dave88sw suggestion. 'topside switch' on the diagnostics could indicate  a failing ecu - or one about to fail. Get diagnostics done really.

Edited by joe1
re-read original post

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update.  

Having replaced the fuel filter and the pump it worked perfectly for a week.  Then yesterday it did not start first time as normal.  It did start the 2nd time and ran ok if not a little sluggish (might be my imagination).  Later that day it repeated the procedure and only started 2nd time around.  

Today i let the pump run for 15 seconds before i started it and it did start 1st time but seemed to be struggling for fuel for the first 3 or 4 seconds and then got up to correct revs and idled fine.  

Doggy pump or something else?

Hugh

• 1 month later...