300tdi overhaul

Hi guys 

I’ve got my 90 off the road for some repairs to get it through an mot buts going to be off for about a year so I’m planning on doing some bigger jobs while I’m on. 

The engine is good but it’s just got a general air of old age so I’m planning on giving it some tlc without going to a full rebuild, I’m thinking new big end shells, piston ring and a head gasket plus the usual seals etc. 

Can anyone recommend good suppliers of bearings or should I just go for genuine items seeing as they’re known to last? 

Jamie 

I went right through mine, replaced anything I wasn't happy with, 

head got skimmed, new valves,seats recut, guides were measured didn't need changing.

block got rebored, new main big, small & main bearing, camshaft & bearings, all followers, rockers & shaft,new piston oil spray banjo bolts [as these have a relief valve inside], oil pump internals & relief valve/spring, oversize pistons to suit rebore,  new timing belt & tensioners, injectors refurbished.

Check the valves and guides, the cam followers (they often end up like 50p bits), consider replacing the oil pump relief valve if not the whole pump, and of course the timing belt and tensioner.  I'd have the injectors cleaned, too.