Aux elecctric fuel pump

fearofweapons

Hello,

It looks like I am getting no where with sorting the fuel starvation problems of the 2.5 petrol in the SIII. ( Car will run for anything from a couple of hundred yards to a few miles than start getting very lumpy ( kangarooing ) and will stall at the drop of hat, usually happens going up hill but not always.)

So I am looking to fit an electric fuel pump. I have a number of questions I'm hoping the forum can assist with;

1. Those who have gone down this route can you suggest an electric fuel pump that would do the job?
  2. Would you recommend plumbing the pump in in series to the existing fuel pump, I assume it should go in before rather than after?
  3. If plumbing to bypass the mechanical fuel pump should the mechanical pump be removed or left in situ? If left should I put a loop of hose on it and leave it with fuel in to has something to pump or remove it?  If I remove it I assume I need to blank the hole left off?

Many thanks,

Richard

LWB or SWB? 

The lift pump should be able to supply enough liquid to run the carb.  

Do you get a shot of fuel out of the pump when you turn the engine over?

G.

Gents,

thanks for the replies.

It's a SWB and I do get a good squirt of fuel when starting up.

The HT leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, condenser and points are all brand spanking new from me. The coil is believed to be new from the previous owner ( it was his rebuild project and I think we are getting the teething problems :-( ) I suppose I could whip that out and see.

I don't think it is heat related as it can happen within a mile of home ( setting off )

Heat, meaning it starts and runs fine, as it warms up, or an electrical component warms up, it starts failing and then misfiring.

Not guaranteed obviously, but the electrics were never that good from factory.

Electronic ignition helps these old engines come to life, for what it is worth.