Spanish pyrenees

Gren_T

Hi all,

im off to the pyrenees end of august and looking for route info around the western side, I’ve lots of routes mid /androra to med but there seems to be a lack on the Atlantic side.

any recommendations for camp sites or things to see ?

cheers

Can't help with your exact question, but would strongly advise having a look at the Picos De Europa. Although the road north of Potes is close except at weekends for the summer, the rest of that area is fantastic...

The Picos are obviously to the west. If you do go east from the western end of the Pyrenees there's lots to see too. East of Jaca is Parque Nacional de Ordesa y Monte Perdido. It depends what you like but if you want remote high mountain valleys then look no further than Bujaruelo which is at the north end of the A135, to the western side of Monte Perdido (3,355m). It's a magnificent spot, with an approach road of gravel that pushes up through a narrow gorge with a torrent alongside. At the top end is a huge flat campsite and views up to the peaks.

After that, drive south then east on the N260 and north on the A139 to Benasque. The N260 road includes a knife-slash gorge and the road hugs the bottom of the cliffs, just above the river. Benasque is a great town and from there you can drive further north again and into another dead-end valley with several campsites near to Pico Aneto.

I hope I've got the directions correct. That's just my two-penneth. There's so much to look at on the south side of the mountains...

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...