Tyre recommendations ?? TD4

TJ101

Have a friend with a 02 year TD4 Auto!!

He's up for a tyre change, and would like to have some with a bit more grip for very mild offroad etc, but still being used for 90% road work

Currently has standard fit ?? Goodyear 215/65x16 Wranglers , , has anyone used anything with a bit more All terrain about them,

Thanks Guys

Have a friend with a 02 year TD4 Auto!!

He's up for a tyre change, and would like to have some with a bit more grip for very mild offroad etc, but still being used for 90% road work

Currently has standard fit ?? Goodyear 215/65x16 Wranglers , , has anyone used anything with a bit more All terrain about them,

Thanks Guys

Have a look at the MAD Freelanders Club forum (http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/forum/default.asp)

There is always a discussion on tyres going on somehwere there.

Graham

I had General Grabber ST's on mine but a better bet would be the AT2 I think they will be available in a suitable 16in size and I can confirm that a Freelander 2 will go places on them ... I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it but the Freelander 2 in the photo below got out of those ruts unaided! (fitted with 18in AT2's)

post-33-1166564745_thumb.jpg

has anyone used anything with a bit more All terrain about them

Oh yes :D

FWIW we ran 215/75-r15 BFG muds on OE steel wheels when we had the Freelander and the combination worked well. BFG ATs in the same size would be a good option too.

For 16" rims 215/70-r16 or 225/70-r16 will fit no problem. You can fit 225/75-R16s onto OE 16" alloys but most people who have tried this size report that they foul unless a suspension lift is also fitted.

Quite a few of the MAD FL guys run with 215r15 (i.e. 215/80-r15) Colway C-Trax Muds or ATs on OE steels both of which work really well on the FL1 IMHO -- the slightly taller sidewall results in a small but worthwhile increase in ground clearance and these tyres have decent performance off-road.

HTH

Just bought a similar Freelander. The garage I bought it from put khumo AT's on the front. What a noise at 70 mph plus - thought a bearing had gone somewhere!

The garage put ordinary tires (bridgestones) on to cure the problem. Its now quiet!

Do you really need the AT's etc?

Buy a cheap set of steel wheels (15 inch) and put more aggresive tires on for when you need them