Wading advice

discodave

morning everybody. my disco's gonna be off road 6-7 days a week at work come mid january and although it shouldnt be extremely bad, there will most likely be some sections of rutted mud and fairly deep water. :unsure: would you advise putting in all possible wading plugs and running breathers up into the engine bay, and is it ok to run the truck like this all the time. if so, any advice on where to buy and fitting? wont be deep enough to bother wi a snork (if it is i'll be turnin round and goin back) :o but i dont want to get water where it shouldnt be. :) ta. actually, i've just done a search and seen previous posts. damn, must always remember to do that first. cheers. DD :wacko:

morning everybody. my disco's gonna be off road 6-7 days a week at work come mid january and although it shouldnt be extremely bad, there will most likely be some sections of rutted mud and fairly deep water. :unsure: would you advise putting in all possible wading plugs and running breathers up into the engine bay, and is it ok to run the truck like this all the time. if so, any advice on where to buy and fitting? wont be deep enough to bother wi a snork (if it is i'll be turnin round and goin back) :o but i dont want to get water where it shouldnt be. :) ta. actually, i've just done a search and seen previous posts. damn, must always remember to do that first. cheers. DD :wacko:

Fit the genuine part wading plugs to the timing case and the bell housing. Remove them at least once a week and check for any oil deposits etc, then refit. Max wading depth (according to LR) without any further prep is roughly the top of the wheel rim - say about 18".

You'll get the plugs (2 req'd) from any main dealer/LR supplier - they are a gen part.

You don't want to leave mud trapped under the car for any length of time, so pressure wash the vehicle regularly - at least a couple of times a week if you're off road every day.

Keep an eye on wheel bearings as any water getting past the seals will destroy them in no time.

Matt

i'd grease the propshafts every couple of weeks aswell, will only take 5 mins to do, but make sure you've cleaned the grease nipples first as you could end up pushing dirt into the UJ.....

as the others said, no harm in leaving the wading plugs in but remove them regularly just to make sure you haven't sprung a leak inside...

it might be worth cheaking if you're breather tubes are clean and not blocked aswell...

For both the bellhousing and timing cover, I fitted 1/4" bsp male to female elbows (very compact).

Then screwed 1/4" bsp to 5/16" hose tails into the elbows, and ran clear hose to inline filters beside the brake booster.

From the other side of the inline filters I ran another hose with a loop and breather hole.

So I can leave this permanent, visually check for oil leaks and have provided breathers.

For both the bellhousing and timing cover, I fitted 1/4" bsp male to female elbows (very compact).

Then screwed 1/4" bsp to 5/16" hose tails into the elbows, and ran clear hose to inline filters beside the brake booster.

From the other side of the inline filters I ran another hose with a loop and breather hole.

So I can leave this permanent, visually check for oil leaks and have provided breathers.

sounds good, do you have any pictures?

Nice ideas! I particularly like the use of clear hose :)

Rog

anyone know where to source bush65's breather pipe fittings in the uk? i've had a swatch on google and eblag and seen the hose tails but not those low profile male to female elbows, only bends which look a bit bulky :(

thanks trev, i'm at my girlfriends place in skegness at the moment so i think it'd be more of a trek than a trot if you're down in hampshire. :( i dont really know this area or anyone in it (other than the missus) so finding anything in the area is a bit needle and haystacklike for me. i'll persevere with tinternet and try and find some mail order jobbies. :) cheers anyway DD