New style MOT renewal

sgnas

The back of the old certs clearly state that if you submit for an MOT less than 1 month from expiry of the old the cert can be forward dated to the previous expiry date.

This wording does not appear on the new certs.

First time I've had to renew on a "new" style so what happens?

When you go for the MOT test it's a good idea to take the old one with you, even if there is still some time left on it. The new MOT certificate will run from when the old one expires - within reason. If you have a good reason to have to MOT your vehicle early (holiday, imprisonment, own a Land Rover :D ), then a month is ok.

I always recommend that a new MOT test is done on a vehicle while there's still a couple of weeks on the old one.

Les. :)

holiday, imprisonment, own a Land Rover :D

Two out of three, your pick :lol:

I was told (very unreliable source, my dad :ph34r: ) that the month was now 14 days.

Looked here, which although interesting didn't show what I wanted.

I always try to go early so I can fix it and drive on the old cert if necessary.

Which brings a new question, with the computerised system does a fail invalidate your current certificate as the police will now check computer records only??

Which brings a new question, with the computerised system does a fail invalidate your current certificate as the police will now check computer records only??

To the best of my (limited :lol: ) knowledge, you are still legal until your MOT runs out.

When the Old Bill require a production at the roadside, you bring the paper documents to a Police Station within 7 days.

The ANPR systems that the Police use will not get updated to state that a vehicle doesn't have a current test certificate until your old one runs out, and even then it's not immediate.

NB - some of the above may be wrong but it's my best guess-timate.

If you had a couple of weeks left on the old certificate and went for a new MOT and it failed, I would imagine there are circumstances where you would be commiting an offence to drive the car. Anything that advises you that it would be dangerous to drive the vehicle until repairs are made, such as brakes or excessive corrosion, excessively worn tyres. An MOT is only the general inspection of roadwarthiness on the day of the test and it's likelihood to be in that condition for the following year. When your vehicle fails the MOT it gets logged in the system, so I should imagine a Police Officer could find out that information, and I would assume you could then be prosecuted for using a faulty or defective vehicle on a public highway?

When your vehicle fails the MOT it gets logged in the system, so I should imagine a Police Officer could find out that information, and I would assume you could then be prosecuted for using a faulty or defective vehicle on a public highway?

To be honest, the penalty should be more severe because the tester will have told you and you have made the concious decision to drive it knowing it is unsafe...

If the issue is significant, the MOT tester can flag it as unfit to drive can he not?

Without having had it tested, you could plead ignorance to the fault.

Ignorance is no defence, but the MOT only assesses the vehicle's roadworthiness on that day. Also, bear in mind that the vehicle standard required to pass an MOT is different (and higher) than that required to avoid a roadside prohibition.

For example, your vehicle will fail an MOT with an indicator repeater inoperative, but this will only attract an inspection notice (PG35) at a roadside check. Equally, a PG35 can be issued for an inoperative reversing lamp but this is not a testable item at the annual MOT. VOSA say (reaching for Categorisation of Defects book):

Where examiners (at roadside or MOT) find on a vehicle roadworthiness defects not serious enough to warrant prohibition, they will advise the user using a Vehicle Inspection Notice (PG35). This notice is advisory only and does not in itself prevent further use of the vehicle.

Even if it is not prohibitable, some of the defects may mean that the vehicle is unroadworthy and does not comply with the law. Continued use of a vehicle issued with a Delayed Prohibition (PG9) or PG35 listing advisory defects risks prosecution under Construction and Use or Lighting Regs and so it will be in the user's interest to repair defects as soon as practicable.