Wheel bearing race sizes

Cornish Rattler

For most series there are two different sets.

The older one, which I think had two different bearings, and the new one, that has a pair of same sizes bearings.

Change over was June 1980, or thereabouts, but your axles, or stub axles may easily have been swapped any time.

This picture is of a new type stub axle (actually a stage one V8, but the stub is the same) and a 1972 sub axle, the newer one is the same diameter along the length (thicker).

I'll get the bearing numbers in a sec.

IMG_20181224_125020.jpg

Assuming the stub is as original, then it's the two different bearings.

Try EAC for the parts, "shop for auto parts", I think they call the on line shop.

They do good quality.

40 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Assuming the stub is as original, then it's the two different bearings.

Try EAC for the parts, "shop for auto parts", I think they call the on line shop.

They do good quality.

Yeah its the actuel size i need as the fitting tool kit goes from 39mm-81mm and not sure if the kit will cover early series wheel bearing races :)

I see! 

I can see the benefit for the seal, but the bearings are easy enough to fit. They are a loose interference fit in the hub, but just hand push on to the stub.

I just tap the bearings in with a very wide punch, little taps at 12, 4 and 7 o'clock and the bearing race goes in easy.

Dead easy to remove, too.

12 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I see! 

I can see the benefit for the seal, but the bearings are easy enough to fit. They are a loose interference fit in the hub, but just hand push on to the stub.

I just tap the bearings in with a very wide punch, little taps at 12, 4 and 7 o'clock and the bearing race goes in easy.

Dead easy to remove, too.

Yeah thats how i fit them but sometimes they can chip when tapping them in and for £15 i think the kit is worth getting