Dynamic timing

Rrc19933

Hello

i just saw that the engine on an 1993 rrc that the engine is 36D with different ratio than the previous one. I just don’t know the dynamic timing degrees to set it to. Does any one have an idea on how many degrees should it be. The engine is a 3.9. Any test that I should do to know the optimum degrees?

Thank you

Pointer is the rotor arm? I have used a strobe to see the degrees and it was far away before TDC. I want to adjust it to the correct degrees depending on the engine that i have 36D. It was running perfectly but i have removed the distributor without marking it. I know it was wrong but let us consider that I’ve checked it and had to adjust it. I’ve searched and found many answers some say 4 degrees BTDC others 6-8. When i change the degrees the idle rom changes and i read that it should be between 500-550rpm. Mine is around 650-700. I can also change the rpm from the air intake. so I’m pretty lost. Just want to do it right for maximum power and best fuel consumption. Also I suspect that the reference plate of the TDC is tilted a litte to the left side.

Thank you

As above, make sure the pointer is in the right place first,or you are shooting in the dark. Easiest way to do this is with a piston stop, it has been covered on here, do a search.

Then, most V8s will tolerate 9 deg btdc on modern fuel.

• Like 1