3.5ltr V8 oil leaks

Mornign all.

My 1989 3.5ltr V8 90 has had it's MOT for this year and (as expected) the minor oil leaks were mentioned as advisories.

One looks to be the front crank shaft seal. so the question is, can this be done without removing the timing casing cover?

I've had a search around and found various theories on the application of special tools and wood screws for removing the seal.

I have the owners manual which describes chaning the seal as part of a complete engine overhaul. Obviously in this instance the cover is coming off anyway. It's just not overly clear from the book if it's possible to do it with the cover in place.

So who's done it and how much of a faf is it to remove the seal without the special tools and with the cover in place? If possible at all?

Thanks in advance!!!

You can certainly get to it by removing the bottom pulley, and if memory serves it's retained by a flange held in with screws so that gets you far enough to be able to remove it... getting it out without damaging the crank or cover surfaces could be interesting and I guess careful application of the wood-screw method you mention wouldn't be the worst idea ever. If it goes wrong, you've got to pull the timing cover, which is a faff but not the end of the world - as long as none of the long bolts shear! :ph34r: Also make sure you note which bolt came from which hole as there's several different lengths.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for completeness and for anyone elses benefit if they come looking at this, yes you are corrrect:

Bottom pulley & harminic balancer off (the ring of bolts holding the pulley to the balancer are a faff as they have nuts on the back and there is a tiny gap to get a spanner in to hold the bottom one then you have to turn the engine to get at the next one and so on. Definately a 2 man job to re fit!)

Home made tool (described on another thread here) to hold the cranfshaft while you undo the main crank bolt. Slide off the harmonic balancer. 8 small screws then hold the small metal flange over the seal.

A little gentle persuasion and the seal comes out. Fit new seal with a large socket or small punch (go steady) then replace in the opposite order.

Finally (still pending for me) some test driving to see if that was the only source of the oil being on the outside of the engine...