EGT thermocouple

Mo Murphy

Afternoon all,

I have read many threads on here regarding EGT installation. 

However I would like some up to date info on the best size to buy regarding diameter v length (😍) and from where to source a reasonable priced item.

I will also need the fittings required to fix said thermocouple to the exhaust manifold of my Defender 200 Tdi.

Any suggestions ?

TIA 

Mo

3 mm, Inconel sheath, type K thermocouple,.  Use a 1/4" male pipe thread (NPT or BSP) x 1/8" stainless steel compression fitting drilled through for the TC.  Drill and tap manifold in the center just below the turbo flange.  Insert TC tip to the center of the gas flow.

Here is a nice simple package.  Choose whatever thread style you wish.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_22&products_id=589

• Like 1

3 mm, Inconel sheath, type K thermocouple,.  Use a 1/4" male pipe thread (NPT or BSP) x 1/8" stainless steel compression fitting drilled through for the TC.  Drill and tap manifold in the center just below the turbo flange.  Insert TC tip to the center of the gas flow.

Here is a nice simple package.  Choose whatever thread style you wish.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_22&products_id=589

45 minutes ago, Jon White said:

Mine came from China via eBay, and works perfectly. I think it cost about £10. It came with the compression fitting and I just needed to drill and tap the hole.

Just be cautious with this route.  If it uses a regular stainless sheath (304 or 316), it will eventually suffer corrosion, become brittle and break off.  The turbo may not enjoy injecting it.  If you are going pre-turbo, make sure it has a real Inconel sheath.