O/T -- Chainsaw Lube Oil

Chainsaw Lube Oil 

Not land-Rover related (directly) but I'll bet a lot of Defender owners also have a chainsaw? and will have a view

My question is what oils are similar in their properties to chainsaw bar lubrucating oil?  I have been given a can for my saws, and in passing I was told -

"Its hydraulic Oil" (tractor / forklift applications) 

"It will be fine"

Is that true? and if not are there any Oils that a typical Landrover Owner might have at home that would do? 

cheers

any oil that lubricates works, obviously you dont want to be using engine oil or gear oil and spreading this all over the forest.

I have even used cooking oil for brief periods.

proper chainsaw oil is stickier than most, beware of storing it outside in the shed though it separates below certain temperatures.

• Like 1

I agree with the above in terms of spreading an unknown substance all over woodland. I have 2 Stihl saws with chain, bar and sproket in good condition I wouldn't be risking an unknown oil on my saws given the cost of replacing parts for premature wear versus the relatively cheap chain oil. I also think you should adjust the automatic oiler for different oil types so probably best to stick with one known oil type.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your comments, I usually use a biodegradable oil, and these days its only for very occasional use in my own garden, and in this particular case taking one limb of one storm damaged tree, without having run into town and buy some proper oil.  I was merely wondering what similarities there were between the multitude of oils that are readilly to hand.  Sunflower oil is pretty sticky so I might risk that.

Cheers

I wouldn't risk sunflower oil on my Stihl, I doubt that it's lubricating qualities are up to the job. If I had to use a substitute I had to hand temporarily, I'd use a heavy gear oil, EP90 for example.

The proper stuff is sticky but also thixotropic, it sticks to the bar and chain without being thrown off by the centrifugal force

• Like 1

In these instances of not being able to get to a shop, I find it handy to know the password to my wife's Amazon Prime account for next day delivery :P. If you do use sunflower oil as a tempory measure; before you try to cut the wood, hold the saw with the nose of the bar pointing towards a piece of scrap wood and allow the chain the spin up to opperating speed for a second or two. You should see a light spray of oil appear on the wood if the oiler is providing sufficient oil to the chain and bar so you know you are good to proceed with a well lubricated chain.

Oils that are readily to hand (like engine oil for example) maybe mineral or synthetic based (or a blend of the two), mono or multigrade viscosities of varying viscosity and contain a whole host of additives such as anti foaming agents, detergents, antioxidants. It is obviously dependant upon what the oil is primarily intended for; in your case, frying chips!:hysterical:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, monkie said:

before you try to cut the wood, hold the saw with the nose of the bar pointing towards a piece of scrap wood and allow the chain the spin up to opperating speed for a second or two. You should see a light spray of oil appear on the wood if the oiler is providing sufficient oil to the chain and bar so you know you are good to proceed with a well lubricated chain.

I cant remember if I ever knew that to forget it - but a handy tip - I expect it might have been part of the training course I did in the 80s.  I do have some EP 90 its usually used in the wormdrive gearbox of my Skill 8 1/4 "circular saw - I expect that will be a novelty to many Carpenters, and electric circular saw that has to have oil changes!

• Like 2