Adjustable ball joint

In case this is of interest to anyone else, I have a Gwyn Lewis adjustable ball joint fitted, it works fine, and after a while it needed adjusting. This is a matter of tightening the top with a 19mm socket. However soon after it was adjusted it came loose and started clunking again. It is designed to have the top flange peened over to stop that, however that is not easily done without taking it off, which kind of negates the intention. So  I made the bracket in the pics. The 2 angle brackets attach at the bolts holding the 'ears' on. The large bracket has a hexagon cut in the top to grip the adjuster on the ball joint, and is gripped between the 2 brackets by a bolt on each side into a weldnut. As ite bolts are  tightened, they tend to pull the main part down onto the hexagon on the top of the ball joint. Now adjustment is a matter of  removing the main part by undoing the 2  bolts holding the main part on, nipping up the joint and putting it back. The greaser in the top can still be reached. After a few months now it seems to hold happily.   

IMG_20190422_111347804[1].jpg

IMG_20190422_122302968[1].jpg

Serendipity, Just having the same issue, pumped some grease in which quietened it down for now. 

How did you “unpeen”  the indentation the first time you adjusted it? Did you have to remove the ball joint?

I like your idea and as mine needs adjusting it would be a good time copy your idea for the future, thanks..

Paddy,I adjusted the balljoint with a 19mm impact socket on a ratchet (clockwise). To be honest, although it was peened, you wouldn't have thought so, it didn't offer much resistance. It does go very tight when the slack is all taken up. I just backed off a tad from 'F' tight. There was no way I could re-peen in situ (Maybe when I was twenty something I could have, but forty years on....) So when it started clunking again I wasn't entirely surprised. I didn't fancy taking it off  to adjust it each time, so casted around for an alternative solution. The grease will probably last a week or two.

Like you, the years limit me as to what spaces I can get into, but more importantly out of..

I thought the peen would be stronger so good to know bit of force is all that’s needed.  Snaggers simple idea sounds easy, I haven’t looked yet but guess it would only need to be a couple of inches square.  Adjust it from underneath and from above use the equivalent of a centre pop to make a peened indent.
Thanks guys.