Brake pedal travel

monkie

Back in April I changed the brake fluid reservoir as I split the old one. There was a lot of crud in the system. I fitted a new reservoir and bled the whole system. Since then I have noticed the amount of pedal travel seems to be increasing. I have adjusted the rear drum brakes and this made no difference. I also can't see and leaks of brake fluid. The brakes aren't spongy, the fluid was new out of an unopened bottle. I did a search on the forum and one suggestion was a worn master cylinder. This would make sense from the amount of muck that was in the system. 

What checks can I do to find the problem? 

Thanks Ralph. I think the cylinder is original. I've done nothing to it in the 10 years I've had it. The fluid was black and the seals from the old reservoir were in a right state. On reflection I probably should have replaced the lot, but I don't just want to start randomly throwing new parts at it without understanding the problem. 

• Like 1

I had a look at the rubber hoses while someone pumped the brake pedal and all is in order.

Regarding the pushrod: I haven't made any adjustment yet, but would this explain a gradual deterioration over a few months which I think is getting worse?

Given Ralph's comment of black residue in the old reservoir coming from deteriorated seals and the fact that I noticed corrosion in the master cylinder, do you agree that this would be a wise move:

https://www.paddockspares.com/nrc8690g-brake-master-cylinder-110-130-non-abs-to-ha901219-trw-lucas.html

Thank you, I had a look for my options and can only find the Ferrodo one. I did however find it much cheaper on LRSeries site. I'm going to get it and see how I get on. Is it a bolt on replacement, or do I have to make adjustments to the servo pushrod?

Replacement master cylinder (Ferodo) arrived in the post. Fitted this morning and taken on a test drive......

As you thought Ralph, a huge improvement. Pedal travel is now what I consider normal, I can hold it on a hill on the pedal without it slowly sinking to the floor.

Thank you both for your advice.

• Like 3