3.5l v8 belt change

Morning,

110 v8 3.5l 1989 (non-serpentine) with aircon.

Can anyone give some advice on how to change the water pump belt on a standard non serp v8 with aircon? Mine has a nick in it and part is peeling back.

Will I need to remove the viscous fan, shroud and the radiator / condensor?

If not, how is this main belt adjusted? I cannot see an adjuster like there is on the alternator / pas pump / aircon?

Any help / advice very much appreciated (sorry if this is an obvious question).

This is the layout (talking about the belt going around 3, 4 and 5):

background image

Number 4 is the adjuster, there is a pinch bolt which you slacken to remove, and then rotate the tensioner on its mount.

You should be able to get the belt off without removing the fan/shroud, but depends on the size of the fan -no direct experience with this particular engine. Though you may find it easier if you do remove it, as access is pretty limited down there anyways.

Refittings is just the reversal :) 

Montyjn

You should be able to replace the belt without removing the fan or shroud.

I only speak of experience with 101FC and RRC though.

Yes once you slacken the pinch bolt , use a bar to lever the adjuster, though I think I may have used a large adjustable spanner on the arm instead. It was a while ago!

Hi, 

I have this engine as a factory fit in a 110 and can confirm the job can be done with the fan and shroud in place, but it is a faff. If you want to to remove the fan it’s is indeed a left handed thread, and a cranked slim spanner will help you out. Needless to say drop the tension on the belt after undoing the fan if your going to take the fan out.

I’ve just used a pry bar to put the tensioner in the right place before doing pinch bolt up. I’m not trying to teach you to suck eggs but just check belt tension on completion, too much and you’ll trash the water pump bearings. (May have found that out from experience/my own stupidity)

good luck.

• Like 1