200tdi injection pump

Swilli

Hi im having problems timing injector pump setting pump as manuals tdc on flywheel  slacken 3 pump plate bolts  adjust pump set pin in slot tighten  3 bolts then turn engine  over by hand  and hey presto pump pin does not fit  .with everything tighti can sill move pump witb socket have swapped pump about six months ago   timing belt changed 30,000 miles ago 

Thanks for your thoughts on this my adjusting of the pump is right.  2:1 ratio etc  i have since found what i think is small piece of timing belt showing through timing casing drain bung hole , the inj pump feels as though its under tension when trying to adjust so just in process of removing timing casing in between the rain clouds  I'll let you know the outcome

Timing casing is off, set up timing belt to check only to find the crank gear has had its keyway widened by both woodruff keys allowing many degrees of unwanted movement ,both woodruff keys were close to shearing , timing belt had caught its edge on the tensioner ridge and stripped about 3mm off the edge leaving shredded bits throughout,had a pushrod shear/snap about a month ago but that got replaced with no visible problems or running issues until starting it up a few days ago and it ran ,sounded and smoked like a single pot lister !  anyway new belt kit, crank gear and keys , tthanks to all for viewing and  replies

At least you have found the problem! What does the crank shaft look like - is that damaged or ok? I put a small smear of loctite on the crank, particularly around the woodruff keys to avoid this movement and keep everything nice and tight. It does make removal a little more difficult - i.e. definitely need to use a puller, but I think its worth it to mitigate the risk of this problem somewhat.

Well i seem to have got away without any keyway damage  one of the two keys is being a bugger coming out ,crank gear badly worn , new parts on order with Paddocks  lots of rain slowing me down just found old waterproofs ,this engine has just clocked up 200,000 I've had it nearly nine years. I had woodruff key problems with my old rrc  200tdi then it chewed into the crank ,i welded keyway  but never felt i could trust it on long journeys although it ran ok and with  a rotting front door pillar caused by sunroof drains blocked it became a donor with about 170,000 miles  thanks for the suggestion of loctite not sure if it was used when a friend  did the belt last but the crank damper wouldn't have come off without special tool ,anyway ill try to get a bit more done today