Sloppy key barrel rear door Defender 200tdi

Paul64

Hi,

Sometimes having problems locking the back door on my Defender 200tdi. The barrel seems a bit sloppy, and key doesn't always feel tat it is engaging the mechanism. I usually get there in the end after a bit of faff. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Paul.

Guest diesel_jim

Fit a new barrel.

if you remove the whole lock (2 large screws and 2 13mm nuts IIRC) you'll see a small hole on the cast casing where the barrel goes into, you can insert a small pointy thing into it and release the barrel which should pull out.

but if the whole thing is siezed up solid, you might be better off just getting a whole new lock assembly.

Fit a new barrel.

if you remove the whole lock (2 large screws and 2 13mm nuts IIRC) you'll see a small hole on the cast casing where the barrel goes into, you can insert a small pointy thing into it and release the barrel which should pull out.

but if the whole thing is siezed up solid, you might be better off just getting a whole new lock assembly.

Thanks Jim

Thanks Ralph, I gave it a good squirt of wd40 in situ and it has helped. Still a bit sloppy, but i can lock it now. I am over in the UK in monday, so will tackle when I have a bit more time, and Ma is supplying me with brews!

Cheers, paul.

• 2 weeks later...

P****d down with rain nearly the whole time I was in the UK. The best day was when I returned on the ferry, which obviously was too late. The barrel got a whole lot worse and now turns to 90o. I wrote to DLS-UK asking for the part, but have had no reply yet. I also took it to a small 4x4 garage outside King's Lynn, and they said the whole mechanism may need changing as the handle is sloppy as well.

DSC04214600x450.jpg

P****d down with rain nearly the whole time I was in the UK. The best day was when I returned on the ferry, which obviously was too late. The barrel got a whole lot worse and now turns to 90o. I wrote to DLS-UK asking for the part, but have had no reply yet. I also took it to a small 4x4 garage outside King's Lynn, and they said the whole mechanism may need changing as the handle is sloppy as well.

DSC04214600x450.jpg

Despite what the book says the lock can be taken apart.

Mind you don't drop any of the springs.

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

you can take the lock apart, but it might be riveted, so you'll need to either rivet it back together or replace the rivets with bolts.

if you remove the barrel, make sure you put it in the right way around, i seam to remember that if you put it in upside down, it can get stuck as you can't poke anything into that little hole to remove it...

that may all be rubbish though, but worth looking...

you can take the lock apart, but it might be riveted, so you'll need to either rivet it back together or replace the rivets with bolts.

if you remove the barrel, make sure you put it in the right way around, i seam to remember that if you put it in upside down, it can get stuck as you can't poke anything into that little hole to remove it...

that may all be rubbish though, but worth looking...

Thanks for that. Still waiting for DLS-uk to get back to me. Not sure if they have one in stock, but I will keep what you said in mind.

I used my slide hammer/dent puller, and screwed it into the key slot. One slight tug and it was out - just goes to show how secure the locks are. I replaced the lock part with an M12 bolt, and now open it with a big stick from the inside. I tell myself that it's security concious, but really it's because I'm too lazy to fix it properly.

I used my slide hammer/dent puller, and screwed it into the key slot. One slight tug and it was out - just goes to show how secure the locks are. I replaced the lock part with an M12 bolt, and now open it with a big stick from the inside. I tell myself that it's security concious, but really it's because I'm too lazy to fix it properly.

I'm relying on my alarm at the moment that seems to out scream anything on the block. I was deaf for 20 minutes the other day when I opened the back door before deactivating it. I have even considered testing it by calling rejo in Holland when it goes off!

New lock barrel arrived today, but after changing it, it still doesn't work. Now that I have the complete lock off it feels like something has gone inside.

I still don't have a parts no manual, so a little help here would be very welcome. I am going to need a new rear lock, the rubber gasket that fits against the door. Also the upper locking plate and bolts, as I had to saw it off as totally corroded.

I had a look on ebay but I must be using the wrong description as nothing coming up.

I have a Defender 110 CSW 200 tdi 1994

Thanks in advance, cheers, Paul

Does it lock and unlock from inside? Once unlocked, does it open as you'd expect?

I've gone a step further than TroddenMasses. I changed the lock barrel, no joy, but my key just goes round and round. For seven years, I've been leaning over from the front and batting it with a stick. Now I've installed a cable release, so I'm never going to fix it... :)

Does it lock and unlock from inside? Once unlocked, does it open as you'd expect?

I've gone a step further than TroddenMasses. I changed the lock barrel, no joy, but my key just goes round and round. For seven years, I've been leaning over from the front and batting it with a stick. Now I've installed a cable release, so I'm never going to fix it... :)

It turns from left to right 90 degrees, but does not lock or unlock. The door handle assembly works fine though.

Cheers,

Paul

New lock barrel arrived today, but after changing it, it still doesn't work. Now that I have the complete lock off it feels like something has gone inside.

I still don't have a parts no manual, so a little help here would be very welcome. I am going to need a new rear lock, the rubber gasket that fits against the door. Also the upper locking plate and bolts, as I had to saw it off as totally corroded.

I had a look on ebay but I must be using the wrong description as nothing coming up.

I have a Defender 110 CSW 200 tdi 1994

Thanks in advance, cheers, Paul

on the inside is the locking button a flat or round,

flat type lock button 395037 from chassis number ending 314268

round type lock button MUC1030 upto chassis number ending 314267

I believe you need the top number.

the gasket/seal is MXC9455

hth :D Check your PM in about 10 minutes. ;)

on the inside is the locking button a flat or round,

flat type lock button 395037 from chassis number ending 314268

round type lock button MUC1030 upto chassis number ending 314267

I believe you need the top number.

the gasket/seal is MXC9455

hth :D Check your PM in about 10 minutes. ;)

Thanks Ralph,

Your a marvel!

• 2 weeks later...