disco 1 swivel pin housing seal

enen

im swaping the RHD 91 disco to LHD

I have a LHD hub from an RRC. Everything appears the same except the seal is 12mm on the RRC hub and 8 mm on the Disco hub.

Will I be okay to use the RRC hub with a 12mm seal with the remaining Disco axle parts?

1245758644_swivelhub.thumb.JPG.a2a59ef522cc50ea45f67e27e312bd2e.JPG

Ah, you mean the swivel ball seal? The big one?

I've not seen a metal backed on before so I guess that's what you get on a model I've not pulled apart. All the seals I've seen have been rubber and just slot in being held in place by a metal retainer. I've seen 2 metal retainers being used at the same time on an old 90 I used to have but when I didn the seals I just removed the additional retainer and only used one. Seemed alright and didn't leak.

If the new seal fits and sits flush to the outside of the housing so the metal retainer can do it's job then I can't see an issue. To reduce the risk of leakage use the one-shot grease rather than oil in the hub.

I am not sure about the "one shot" grease, if you want to keep the vehicle for a long time. Not only is it not as good a lubricant as oil, but if the seal not sealing fully and would let oil out it will let water in. With oil you can check the level, and change the oil from time to time, flushing out any water. But how do you check the grease, for condition or quantity withiout dismantling the hub? 

Land Rover had good reasons for introducing the grease, but if you are prepared to look after your vehicle I suggest you stay with EP90 oil.

7 minutes ago, Sheffield said:

I am not sure about the "one shot" grease, if you want to keep the vehicle for a long time. Not only is it not as good a lubricant as oil, but if the seal not sealing fully and would let oil out it will let water in. With oil you can check the level, and change the oil from time to time, flushing out any water. But how do you check the grease, for condition or quantity withiout dismantling the hub? 

Land Rover had good reasons for introducing the grease, but if you are prepared to look after your vehicle I suggest you stay with EP90 oil.

There are two schools of thought regarding oil/grease and both have their pros and cons, however implying that grease is no good if you want to keep the vehicle for a long time is a bit misleading I'd say. I'm sure some will say that you have to have oil because of the reasons you stated above (which I agree with) but also the state of the swivels, the quality of the seal, the usage of the vehicle etc will all dictate as to how well the seal will seal, and oil has a greater possibily of leaking out than grease if any of these are sub par.

Personally never had an issue with grease and I'd use it every time. Horses for courses I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 5:36 PM, Sheffield said:

When my Tdi had 150k km on the clock, I removed the swivels, cleaned them out, and because I could not get the new type of grease, decided to make my own. I took CV-joint grease, and mixed it 50/50 with 80/90 gear oil. After thoroughly mixing the two, I packed the CV, and filled the housing about 50 % with my grease/oil. 

Since then, I have never opened the swivel housings, and have no issues with swivels/CVs. The car stands on 392k km