HELP - Wiring Rear LED Number Plate Light

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me here.

I have bought a rear LED number plate light to replace my old one.  After removing the old one, I am looking at the wiring and I'm confused how to hook it all up.

The old light had one red and one black wire, which went into the Defender and into a switch.  However, the new LED light comes with one brown wire and one white white already attached.

Does anyone know how I need to wire this up with the new wires or keeping the old ones? 

I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff, so clear and precise instructions needed (pictures even better!)

Thanks,
Ali

On the old one the red was positive, black was negative. On the new one I presume you have a diagram which tells you which wire is which? 

In any case an Led is a diode so electricity only flows one way. It won't break, just one way it will work and one way it won't! 

9 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

On the old one the red was positive, black was negative. On the new one I presume you have a diagram which tells you which wire is which? 

In any case an Led is a diode so electricity only flows one way. It won't break, just one way it will work and one way it won't! 

No instructions provided. 

The bit I am unsure about is whether I still need to use the old black and red cables/or just the brown and white ones that came with the LED light... or both?

21 minutes ago, Ali3ta1r said:

I'm not really sure what needs to wire to what...

I don't mean to be rude mate but if you have disconnected two wires and need to recommect two more and don't know what to do then I don't think you should really be doing the job! Connect it up and turn it on, if it works you are good, if it does not swap the wires round and it should work

My led rear number plate light has a plain brown & plain white wires, it will only work one way & you won't damage it, just make new joints on each wire, go brown to red & white to black, if it doesn't illuminate swap the red to white & brown to black, 

11 hours ago, western said:

My led rear number plate light has a plain brown & plain white wires, it will only work one way & you won't damage it, just make new joints on each wire, go brown to red & white to black, if it doesn't illuminate swap the red to white & brown to black, 

Cheers mate, I'll give that a try.

• Like 1