LT230 spacer for intermediate gear

The replacement of the collapsible spacer with a solid type makes sense, provided you have access to accurate measuring equipment and the means of making a solid spacer. Had I been retaining the original gear and bearings that is what I would have done, measured up the spacer which was removed then have a friend make a solid type on a lathe.

I imagine the change was made to take the guesswork out of fitting the collapsible type spacer.

Simply follow the measuring procedure in the manual, do the sums and select the correct spacer from the 20 or so that are available and fasten it all back together.

• 2 years later...

Just to add to this, Mike from Britannica Restorations found that if you measure a collapsible spacer after torquing , you'll find they have not crushed square. His therory is that this could exacerbate flogging out the intermediate shaft hole in the case. IMO a thicker walled spacer isnt a bad thing for bearing support and less wear over time...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 13/4/2020 at 15:06, neil110 said:

Grazie Ralph.

Il manuale copre le seguenti scatole di trasferimento

Prefissi dei numeri di serie: 20D, 22D, 32D, 43D, 47D, 56D, 57D, 58D, 59D e 60D - Prefissi dei numeri di serie Defender: 28D, 34D, 41D, 42D Prefissi dei numeri di serie Discovery: 14D, 15D, 20D , 26D, 27D, 28D e 30D - Range Rover Classic

Descrive inoltre in dettaglio come misurare il distanziatore necessario, richiede uno strumento speciale, un micrometro e un comparatore. Lo strumento speciale è un po 'costoso ma ne vale la pena per la massima tranquillità

Dovrò solo aspettare che tutto sia misurato e andare da un rivenditore per la parte pertinente

Hi neil110,
I too at the moment find myself with the need to adjust the preload of the bearings of the intermediate gearing of my LT230T, prefix 28D. From what I understand you have purchased the LRT-41-017 instrument and therefore I wanted to ask you if it is possible for you to detect the exact dimensions of the same and in particular the diameters and heights of the central reference axis. At the moment I can't afford this expense, but I can build it in the turning workshop. If you can share this information to help me with this work, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you and greetings.

Ignazio

LRT-41-017.jpg

Quote LRT-41-017.jpg