Warn Solenoid

Big Watty

I've got a warn m8000 (yes I know it's slow but I don't use it much) and as I don't use it much it seems that the solenoids are sticking as it won't winch in or out. I can hear the solenoid(s) clicking (there are 4) Can they be replaced by a single Albright solenoid? Are they easy to wire in?

Is there anyrhing else I should be looking at?

Chris

Warn Motor Testing Procedure

If you find yourself in a situation where your winch is clicking but it is not working, you may have a motor problem or you may have a solenoid problem. The following procedure, from Warn, will help you determine the status of your winch motor.

1 Put the winch in freespool.

2 Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

3 Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three posts on the motor.

4 Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be “A ‘~ “F]” and “F2 ~‘.

Run a small jumper wire (5 “-6” dead’ lead, 8 ga. will work just fine) from “A “to “]” and put power from the battery (jumper cables work good) to “F2 “. The winch motor should run in one direction at this time.

5 Next, place the jumper wire from “A” to “F2” and put power from the battery to “F “. The winch motor should run in the opposite direction at this time

If these steps are followed correctly and the motor runs in both directions, the motor is good

Thanks Paul

I presume this is the albright wiring - looks far mor simple than the 4 solenoids I currently have

Chris

Yes, for albright and early style 3 wire controler.

The later 5 wire controller is safer if some faults develop. The difference is that as well as switching the +ve wires to the solenoids, they also switch the -ve wire.

For the 5 wire socket, connect the green, black and white wires from the socket, as shown for the 3 wire version. Connect the brown wire from the socket to the earth terminal (middle spade terminal) on the albright and the red wire from the socket to earth.

Lastly (I promise!)

Does this mean then that one albright solenoid will replace the 4 warn ones?

Chris

The albright unit, contains, in the small case, all of the solenoids that are needed to operate the winch motor in both directions.

If you only wanted to power the motor in 1 direction, then 1 solenoid would do the job. The complexity of additional solenoids comes with the need to power the motor in both directions.

Just thought I'd keep those who may be interested informed

Bought an Albright Connector - replaced the solenoids (thanks for the wiring diagrams) unfortunately the solenoids are under the drivers seat and as I've fittted Disco front seats it means taking the whole seat out

Wired it all in and.................. it still doesn't work!

It'll turn out to be something simple, I hope, like a bad earth - the motors fairly new (well it's about 4 years old but only been used three or four times).

It pays not to jump to conclusions - still the albright is in now and a lot simpler that the old solenoid set

Chris

did you check the motor out?

Warn Motor Testing Procedure

If you find yourself in a situation where your winch is clicking but it is not working, you may have a motor problem or you may have a solenoid problem. The following procedure, from Warn, will help you determine the status of your winch motor.

1 Put the winch in freespool.

2 Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

3 Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three posts on the motor.

4 Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be “A ‘~ “F]” and “F2 ~‘.

Run a small jumper wire (5 “-6” dead’ lead, 8 ga. will work just fine) from “A “to “]” and put power from the battery (jumper cables work good) to “F2 “. The winch motor should run in one direction at this time.

5 Next, place the jumper wire from “A” to “F2” and put power from the battery to “F “. The winch motor should run in the opposite direction at this time

If these steps are followed correctly and the motor runs in both directions, the motor is good

Thanks for this - I should have read it more closely earlier on!

I've printed it off and will try tonight when I get home

I'm sure the investment in t he Albright is worth it anyway when you look at the complexity of the 4 solenoid system used by Warn

Thanks again - I'll let you know how it goes

Chris

Just to finish off this thread and thank everyone who contibuted

Bought the albright - winch still didn't work

Checked the motor as suggested by bromme1 (thanks) and the motor worked

bought some extention leads for the mutlimeter so I could check continuity in the cables and

there was a loose conection in the "A" cable - not apparent due to the plastic surround of the connector - it felt tight enough on first inspection

redid the conection and it works again - just need to check and redo all the the just to make sure there's nothing else looming

thanks to all that contributed

Chris

post-2593-1168115955_thumb.jpg

this any better

The hand drawn diagram shown in this thread states that the blue wire(positive feed for switch) from the winch hand controller socket goes to the Albreit.

I have just purchased a new Warn socket with 5 wires from GigglePin but it doesn't have a blue wire coming from it. It has White, Brown, Black, Red and Green. I beleive the white wire from my new sockets to be the positive feed but can any one confirm this before I fry something?

Thanks.

S.

post-2593-1169104041_thumb.jpg

does this help

Note really mate....my winch is an early model 8274 for which I have just purchased an Albreit solenoid and a new 5 wire controller socket. It used to be 3 wires before.

I know that 2 wires will become redundant when wiring up the new socket and Albreit but in all of the diabrans shown in this thread it relates to a blue wire as the power line to the socket.....my new socket that I purchased from GigglePin doesn't have any blue wires coming from it.

Could the white wires from the socket do the same job as the blue? It looks like a switching wire.

Thx.

S.

Are the wires on the controller not marked or come with a diagram? Can the switch not be removed from the contoller to have a looksee or put a meter onto it to see what each wire does?

Yep...looks like thats the way to go.......I was hoping for a easy peasy response but perhaps a meter is the best way.

Cheers.

S