200 tdi fuel filter

I have just had what seems a weird situation (unless you tell me its normal ;) )

I have taken the water off the bottom of the filter on the bulkhead by unscrewing the tap - nothing came out until i took the whole thing out - and then some horrible looking orange fluid emerged, then nothing else - no clean fuel.

So i decided to change the filter anyway - took it off, and fuel was in the filter - so great - but im surprised the clean fuel didnt come out thru the drain plug when i took it out????

Then unscrewed the bleed screw on the housing and used the lever on the lift pump to 'bleed the system'.

The lift pump lever seemed to move really easily until the bottom 5-10mm then it felt as if it was pumping something, and it did bleed the system ok and it started fine after tightening the bleed screw - so lifes not so bad.

BUT, is the lift pump lever and the fuel 'held in vacuum in the filter' (for want of a better expression) normal?

I am comparing to the feel of a fuel lift pump on a normal petrol engine which feels completely different - i am wondering if teh lift pump is worn? Starting is not a problem hot or cold.

I am also experiencing a slight reduction in performance - ie need to change down on slight hills more than i used to.

Confused....(not being brought up on diesels !!)

don't bother priming the fuel filter just fit the new one & start the engine & let it run for 5mins, always works on my 200Tdi, I very rarely touch the liftpump priming lever,

if it's not sat on the cam lobe, its usual for the lever to work at the very end of its travel [towards the engine block]

hth :i-m_so_happy:

It could be that your sedimenter is full of snot! This will hinder performance and make the filter work overtime as bits of crud get sucked up into the filter. You will find the sedimenter on the inside of the chassis rail level with the front of the offside rear wheel. There is a plastic drain on it but if you can get it undone without breaking it you are doing well. Better option is to reach on to the top of the housing where you will find a 13mm bolt head whihc holds the whole thing tofether. Undo this and recover all the gubbings, take to bench and give it a real good clean out. If you have access to a air line give all the hoses a good blow through at this point too. Could be crude in the lines too causing the vacuum you describe at the fiulter. I had something very similar recently and doing what I describe here cured it (i also removed the pickup unit from the tank and cleaned that but I hadn't long had it removed so was easy. Do all the rest first and se if it helps)

Cheers

Mark

thanks guys, I will note the procedure for the change next time Western - and i feel better about the 'feel of the lift pump'

Orgasmic - I will go in search of my sedimentor next weekend - will let you know what i find !

Cheers

Jerry

not many 200tdi vehicles have a sedimenter fitted, if it is look on the right rear chassis rail behind rear wheel.

ok - if i dont have one then i guess i will have to start thinking about other causes...

ive only seen sedimentors on discos & camel trucks - why ive no idea. im sure its an 11mm bolt holding my sedimentor together as well.

i also never use the priming lever, even on the occasion i run out of fuel i just cranked it & floored it. started up quick enough. when just changing the filter i fit the new filter & let it idle for 5mins, drive it too early & it coughs/splutters/dies/smokes till the filter fills up.

I somehow read Discovery as the topic of this thread so if defenders dont have a sedimeter I apologise! Anyway, based on the sludge in mine the fact that a defender doesn't have one would go further to explain the orange goo in your filter! Andy, you could be right about the 11mm, I am not good at remembering sizes. And I only did mine last week!

you cant remember sizes cause you've got a comfy unheated nonwaterproof breezy workshop to relax in & take your time! i try to remember them so i can avoid crawling in & out from under the car in the road all day. at least while im under there its harder for people to try & run me over.

i know my mates old J-plate tdi 110 didnt have a sedimentor. stuck me as odd that a car more likely to get used where it might need one doesnt have one at the time.

i never use the bleed screw in the top of my fuel filter either, i stripped the thread ages ago. tapped it out & fitted a bigger bolt - kinda scared of finishing it off though so i just crack open a banjo joint if i need to.

you cant remember sizes cause you've got a comfy unheated nonwaterproof breezy workshop to relax in & take your time! i try to remember them so i can avoid crawling in & out from under the car in the road all day. at least while im under there its harder for people to try & run me over.

i know my mates old J-plate tdi 110 didnt have a sedimentor. stuck me as odd that a car more likely to get used where it might need one doesnt have one at the time.

i never use the bleed screw in the top of my fuel filter either, i stripped the thread ages ago. tapped it out & fitted a bigger bolt - kinda scared of finishing it off though so i just crack open a banjo joint if i need to.

Your right - no sedimentor...

But I have got a nice crack in the down pipe on my exhaust - just before the flange where it bolts to the mid section !!!