DVLA restrictions to import/register ROW spec Defenders in the UK

We want to import and register our 2006 ROW spec Defender 110 Kalahari, 300 Tdi in the UK, but are uncertain if it is at all possible to register it in the country due to emission restrictions etc. (I believe the 300 Tdi could not be sold within the EU after 1998, since it was only EURO2 or EURO3 compliant)

We have tried to contact the DVLA, but due to COVID-19 they do not respond to general queries until further notice.

Any help, experience or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, stay safe and have a nice weekend.

I think from an emmisions standpoint you may be ok.

I saw this the other day and it had some decent advice, especially around the age of vehicles and the associated taxes/import duties:

As yours is less than 30 years old, it will cost you a good chunk, I reckon.

• Thanks 1

As it's over 10 years old it should be straightforward.  Emmissions restrictions for new cars don't apply when it's a used vehicle.

To get the car out of SA you will need an export licence, data microdot certificate, police clearance certificate.

To registee in the UK you need:

A Notice of Vehicle Arrival certificate (NOVA) which is issued when import tax/duty has been paid (shipping agent will normally arrange this)

South African registration certificate, a current insurance document, an MoT certificate, proof of identity and UK address. 

I may be able to help with all or most of this depending on your plans and timescale, we may have space in a container from Durban to London when lockdown is lifted. Feel free to message me. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Bowie69 said:

I think from an emmisions standpoint you may be ok.

I saw this the other day and it had some decent advice, especially around the age of vehicles and the associated taxes/import duties:

As yours is less than 30 years old, it will cost you a good chunk, I reckon.

Thanks for the link. As far as I have understood from HMRC's website the costs would be 10% import duty + 20% VAT based on the value of the vehicle.

On 5/15/2020 at 1:21 PM, Eightpot said:

As it's over 10 years old it should be straightforward.  Emmissions restrictions for new cars don't apply when it's a used vehicle.

To get the car out of SA you will need an export licence, data microdot certificate, police clearance certificate.

To registee in the UK you need:

A Notice of Vehicle Arrival certificate (NOVA) which is issued when import tax/duty has been paid (shipping agent will normally arrange this)

South African registration certificate, a current insurance document, an MoT certificate, proof of identity and UK address. 

I may be able to help with all or most of this depending on your plans and timescale, we may have space in a container from Durban to London when lockdown is lifted. Feel free to message me. 

Thanks a lot for the input and I appreciate you offer of helping out with SA docks and shared shipping.

Timescale depends on the UK and SA lockdown. However, since the only reason for shipping the car to the UK is to have it registed it for 6 month and do the RHD to LHD conversion, and then re-export it to Chile (both are mandatory in order to import the vehicle to Chile), we are looking at 2 x shipping cost, 2 x times import duty and VAT, plus roughly GBP 8k for the conversion before it will be hitting the roads in Chile. Based on that I trust is will be a better option to keep the Kalahari in SA and buy another Defender in Chile. It would most likely have to be a Td5, as only 10 Defender 110, 300 Tdi's were ever imported to Chile.       

On 5/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, Eightpot said:

Yes I think that is a better plan.  

Plus It's good to have a car ready and waiting for a safari trip when we can buy flights again..

True, but I still haven't made up my mind 🙂 I will let you know ASAP if I go ahead with the crazy plan of converting it and shipping it to Chile via the UK and see if you are still available for sharing a container out of Durban.

Cheers