S2a oil fill pipe breather

2a-Egg

I have a late s2a, the engine has a weber 34 ich carb fitted, the pipe from the oil fill pipe goes nowhere. Just ends next to the carb with a bit of hose on the end, not capped. Guessing this would of gone into a solex at some point. 

Is this something i need to worry about? The fact it does not join to anything. I have the breather from rocker cover to air filter. 

I'm guessing from the plain fact that you ask, you've a sense of social-responsibilty. Not familiar with your set-up, but better to fire it into your air-box. This can only be a good thing, there's no good reason to have it go to atmosphere.

Edited by Landrover17H

I assume you haven't got the adapter that goes under the Zenith... so your carb is fitted sideways. I have a 34 ICH fitted to my S3 which replaced the  Zenith. The adapter does have a nozzle to take the hose from the rocker cover and filler tube. However on my LR I found at idle it sucked in oil due to the higher vacuum compared with running down the road. I found this the same with another car - it would seem that there is too much suction on the carb but the air box is fine. There may be a blank on the inlet manifold that one could remove and plumb into but I think you would find the problem I had. These K&N filters are poor - nothing to beat a paper type enclosed in an air box... or in LR case the oil filter.

At present I have just taken the two tubes to a 'T' piece and then a tube to a place in the wing and secured it through the LH steering box holes. [Blanked off the adapter nozzle tube with a bolt for now as you can see in the pic]. This vents engine emission to the wing which is better than the engine bay as it can find its way into the cab. Ideally one does have an obligation to plumb things so that the engine eats its own fumes - however the air filter that one can install for the 34 ICH does not allow for this. I wanted to put the original oil filter on (which does have an inlet pipe for the fumes) but the mounting has been removed and battery tray extended. I will be doing more serious resto work once my kit car is on the road and so I plan to do the oil filter setup then as it will involve taking the wing off.

Couple of pics attached. The other two hoses are for my artic heater... again plans are in place for a better install once I have her off the road.

IMG_20200608_134524.jpg

IMG_20200608_134540.jpg

Edited by jessejazza

Modern cars have a PCV, rather a leap on anything of this vintage, but aside from reducing emissions, the idea is to create -ve crankcase pressure. This improves ring seating -  less blow-by grants more power as well as better emissions. Race-engines even have a separate pump to do this. Not really practicable for our humble leafer, yet that's the direction we want to be looking to. Whatever you have now, it won't be hard to feed crankcase gases  into the air-box.

Edited by Landrover17H

@jessejazza my top cap on the rocker goes into the air pipe and into the carb. The zenith would of had a separate inlet for the second pipe. So at present its just sat in the engine bay and not alot comes outbor goes into it.. Joys of newer carbs not having the ports the old ones did 

1 hour ago, 2a-Egg said:

@jessejazza my top cap on the rocker goes into the air pipe and into the carb. The zenith would of had a separate inlet for the second pipe. So at present its just sat in the engine bay and not alot comes outbor goes into it.. Joys of newer carbs not having the ports the old ones did 

Ok - so you could get a 'T' piece and that would solve the issue. The vapour that comes out of the pipe will spread oily deposits under the bonnet area so it is worth doing. In my pic you can see some on the metal tube - I put it there with the thought that oil would deposit on the chassis and not do much harm. I thought about cutting a hole in the filter for the breather pipe but as I am intending to return to the oil filter I decided not to bother. Hopefully she is off the road late summer.

Edited by jessejazza