Fixing door seals

steve b

Has anyone used semi tubular rivets ( as factory ) to fit door seal sections on a Series 2 or 3 ? If so where did you go for rivets and what tool did you use ? 

I've used sealed pop rivets before but they do tend to distort the seal due to the high clamping force 

cheers

Steve b

• 3 weeks later...

I am facing a similar dilemma. ( Sorry to hi jack the thread!) 

I have fitted new Series door seals. However, many of the holes in the door frame have become enlarged over the years so the pop rivets don't fit. Or where the hole is small when I try and fit the rivet, I cannot keep a constant pressure and so the rivet pulls through and dose not clamp to the frame. ☹️

I did wander about using something like

I know some are plastic and will probably become brittle after a few years but just trying to think outside the box a bit.

I'm looking at leather fixing double cap tubular rivets , not the same as original but look like they might work and cheap with the pliers on t'interweb

The door seals just need to be held in place , not clamped structurally - I'm sure that does not help with getting doors , seals and bodywork to come together  

I knew there had been a recently updated topic (10/11/20) about this subject on the Forum of the Series 2 Club.

The link to Page 1, note that it continues to page 6.
Hopefully this will help, either re rivet supply, tools, metal strips inside the seals, or homemade tools (sets 'stuck' to pliers).

Regards.