LR4, 2015, 3.0ltr V6, strange noise from the engine

MarcinD

Hello.

1. I am happy owner of Land Rover 4 2015, 3.0 V6 petrol, 56 000 miles. I purchased the car sometime ago ( small accident). I fixed it and I do have some noise in the engine, which is on the rightsize ( from driver view). This noise is not regular. Much stronger when the car is cold and on the higher engine speed, when car is warm, noice is more regular. It is like slight metallic buzzing. This noise still exists, if front belts are take out, so car works without compressor - so it it not compressor I assume.

It seems, but not 100%, that noise comes from the right side of the engine, I try to focus my first video on this area. Everyone is suggesting to replace whole timing chain kit ( upper chains and lower) without guaranty that noise will disappear. 🙂 As it is expensive I would be happy to hear fro the forum experts.

Additional suggestion I got - noise is coming from right side of the engine ( driver view) so it could be Camshaft Sprokets. Another suggestion was clearance on cylinders and pistons. 

I am just wondering, what do you think after watching this videos?  

- here engine is very cold , you will hear the not regular metallic buzzes

- her engine is lowering ( few minutes after starts) - and recorder a little bit from distance, what makes this noises more natural

Thank you Marcin

• western changed the title to LR4, 2015, 3.0ltr V6, strange noise from the engine

Welcome to the forum 

By the sound of the video's I would suggest it is timing chain / tensioner / gears related .

Hopefully someone with more direct experience of these engines will be along to add to this . Petrol D4's are not so common here in the UK, where are you in the world?

cheers

Steve b 

@steve b - thank you for sharing your opinion. Just in case I am just a driver. No knowledge about fixing LR. At the beginning, I assumed, it was compressor - this was eliminated. I visited one garage and they identify left tensioner was faulty, so as ad-hoc it was replaced. Right chain and tensioner were OK. 

By "timing chain / tensioner / gears related " do you mean upper chains or lower one "Auxiliary Drive Chain". Or something else?

If upper part - do you think timing chain, blades, tensioners and CAM SPROCKETs  should be replaced? Or without Cams? Not sure, if this info is important, but nearly 15 months car was just in a garage. When we turn the engine on, the noise was lauder. After oil and filters replacements, started to be less noisy.

I am based in Poland and car was imported from US

Thank you 

Marcin

Good to have you here Marcin 

I'll have to do a bit of research to be more specific so will be back later . I'm sure someone here will have more direct knowledge of this engine though - Allyv8 maybe?

Or maybe @discomikey?

Enjoyed a quick visit to Poland back in '09 based south of Gdansk and did lots of guided greenlanes and local historic landmarks , also discovered Bison grass vodka too ☺️ . A great time with great people , and just as nuts about LandRovers as all of us .

Steve   

Thank you Steve for your kind words. Regarding Bison grass vodka - I had a little bit too much of it during uni, so do not drink it today. 🙂 Gdansk is amazing city, which I visit quite often as I am based not far away from it. 🙂 If you live in the UK- just to confirm, that since 2003 I have a lot interactions with the UK - studying  there, and since 2006 working for UK academic publishers till today. So i assume it is as well reason for J/LR brand love. 

Regarding my LR4  - in the meantime I purchased L322, 2010, 5.0 no SC with damaged engine. And finally decide to sell LR4. However before I do it I need to eliminate the engine noise. I am very much wondering, if with 56 k miles, should I worry about lower chain "Auxiliary Drive Chain".? Or replacing upper chains full kit ( evetually CAM SPROCKETs) shoudl be enough.

M

Hi MarcinD. 

It's hard to tell what the noise is/where its coming from on a video, especially when my phone speaker is knackered. 

I have seen a couple of failing superchargers that make a metallic noise though, if it were me I'd place a stethoscope on various areas of the supercharger and timing case to see if you can pinpoint the location of the noise before ordering parts. 

56k miles shouldn't be a problem for a timing chain, but the earlier 5.0L AJ133 engines did have some tensioner/chain issues. I've not seen this personally though the only issues I have seen was bottom end issues on the early part of development engines we've seen (fixed for production} , and they don't take kindly to being raced without coolant. 

@discomikey Hello. 

Thank you  for your comments. I am aware that it is difficult to be precise when listening to recordings. If I can, I have a few more questions.

- by "superchargers" - do you mean compressor? If so, we tried to test it, by taking off the belt, so engine was working without compressor. The noise still was appearing without running compressor. Do you think, it is still possible, that compressor could make noises?

- if the issues is caused by any part of timing chain kit, should I consider lower chain (Auxiliary Drive Chain)?  I was planing to replace only timing chain set + maybe camshaft sprockets, without Auxiliary Drive Chain. 

And finally what you mean by "I have seen was bottom end issues on the early part of development"? 

Thank you for your suggestion with stethoscope. 

Greetings 

Marcin

Edited by MarcinD

Hi,

Yeah in the UK we call a compressor a supercharger, it's the same thing. 

If it has been ran with the belt off and you still have the same issue I would probably discount that. 

If it were me, I would replace all chains, it's the kind of job that I'd like to do once and know its all good. Pay attention to the condition of the tensioning system, I haven't had the timing case off an Aj126 but I am assuming it's tensioned by oil pressure so make sure the tensioning pistons are free and working properly 

Thank you. So full timing chain kit covering upper and lower chains, all 4 camshaft sprockets. During work pistons and clearances should be checked.

Expensive job, especially that I plan to sell this car, due to recent L322 purchase. 

I assume, that chains and tensioners definitely should be original LR? How about the rest of the set: blades, guides, sprockets and gear? How about Camshaft Sprockets ( Exhaust & Intake) - any After Market alternatives or only LR?

I am asking as I need to order 2 sets - for LR4 3.0 SC V6 and L322 5.0 V8 ( no SC). For L322 additionally I will order water & oil pomps and thermostat.

So if you have any experience with After Market parts/manufacturer I am happy to save some budget. Or maybe only LR original parts should be considered? 

• 1 month later...

Hi there, first off I don't have any advice on your problem, I just want to understand what you mean when you are talking about the compressor/super charger when saying the compressor do you mean the air conditioning compressor  or the turbocharger?  Someone said a supercharger which is a device with a mechanical connection to the engine which does the same job as the turbo charger which has no mechanical connection to the engine but is driven by the exhaust gasses  which compress the air going into the engin.

Ps sorry i sort of waffles on a bit.