1992 Defender 90 300Tdi not charging

rube

Hi,

A buddy of mine has an imported (to the US) 1992 Defender 90 with the 300 Tdi engine that is not charging.

I was hoping someone here could point me to some resources to help figure out what the problem may be.

I’m not sure where to find wiring diagrams, descriptions of the wire colors, hook ups on the back of the alternator, alternator testing or sources for a suitable replacement alternator or service manual.

I have never worked on a Land Rover before and it is a bit different than my 1995 Jeep YJ!

Thanks for any help!

rube

Hi,

can someone point me to where I can get a new one of these three wire connectors for the alternator?

The one on my buddies ride looks like it had a bad connection and has cooked the plastic.

When I manipulate the connector I can actually get the voltage to rise!

Thank you!

E96728CF-5BD2-4311-ABF4-A616C9879611.jpeg

CE944019-A13E-49A2-8F4B-F5C0E21308DF.jpeg

That looks to me like a Lucas ACR plug. I thought the 300tdi engines had a different connection to this at the alternator, are you sure it isn't a 200Tdi (particularly given the year is 1992)?

Any way you get this from most automotive wiring places. I use autosparks in the UK, but I came across this in the USA. 

To tell which engine you have: a 300tdi will have a single belt driving the coolant pump, alternator, PAS pump. The 200tdi has 2 belts. If the engine is a defender spec 200tdi the turbo will be mounted high on the exhaust manifold. If Discovery spec as a transplant (common modification to swap earlier engines) the turbo will be mounted low like on a 300Tdi.

A picture of the engine will help us to confirm it for you. 

Hi,

Thank you very much for tge responses!  
That link worked great and appears to be the exact plug I am looking for.

I looked through my box of spade connectors with the idea to replace the plug with individual connectors but did not any connectors large enough and the auto parts store up tge road was closed.

I am not sure at all about the engine.  I do not know Rovers, and and am only going on what my buddy who owns it told me.  It is fitted with multiple V belts and not the wider serpentine type belt. If I remember correctly there is one belt from the alternator which also drives the water pump.  This truck has an add on after market AC unit and that compressor is driven by a different v belt belt.

On this Defender the turbo is what I would call high.  It is pretty much the highest item on the left side of the engine bay (as sitting in the seat), and appears to hook directly to and sits above the exhaust manifold on the left of the engine.  There are many non-factory fixes and additions on this vehicle so an earlier engine or swap would not surprise me.

I just read through the Wikipedia page on Rover engineer and to me it looks like you all are right and that this is a 200tdi and not a 300Tdi engine.

I’ll ask my buddy to send me some snaps of the engine and then post them here.

Thank you very much!

rube

Edited by rube
Update with more info, fix typos

That is indeed a Defender spec 200Tdi engine. That little fact may well help you with finding the right parts in the future! 

This is a great place to look for part numbers and diagrams

"200Tdi Diagrams - Find Land Rover parts at LR Workshop" https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-engine/200tdi