P38 air suspension - yeah, I know....

Tetsu0san

Hi all

I have a late P38 diesel and the air suspension is playing up a bit. When it's driving and the engine started it works OK, but when you park it up the suspension will drop overnight. Well, when I say overnight it varies, sometimes it will do it over one night, other times it will hold up for days (it only gets driven once or twice a week).

In its history it's had a couple of air bags changed as well as height sensors, but obviously that doesn't really meany anything.

What are your thoughts? I don't really want to put it on springs as I think the air suspension is great, and as I am (unfortunately) going to have to sell it soon I'd like the suspension to work.

Cheers

Could be many things. Bags, o-rings in the valve block, ...

Step one is replacing the big black EAS relay with a regular 4-pin yellow relay, so it stops auto-levelling overnight. Then you can see which side drops down and look further in more detail.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elbekko said:

Step one is replacing the big black EAS relay with a regular 4-pin yellow relay, so it stops auto-levelling overnight. Then you can see which side drops down and look further in more detail.

That sounds like an excellent place to start. I'll have a look at that later. Cheers

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2021 at 9:24 AM, elbekko said:

Sorry, me again. Is it 'safe' to remove it as is or should I remove the battery or do something else? Don't really want to end up with an error that needs to be cleared with hardware that I don't have.

Cheers

Yeah, removing the timer relay is no different than having a fuse blow. The P38 is not as difficult as people think, it takes quite a lot before it throws a hard fault.  I have a switch in mine to disable the EAS while driving, never gave an error. (for the record, the switch was installed at a time when I didn't have the means to do a proper fix but needed the car on the road and reliable).

Filip