Td5 Defender on 35s

Hi all, 

Glad to finally join the community.

Ive been struggling to find info regarding whether a td5 would be driveable with 35s?  *in regards to gear ratios*

Ive found lots of info regarding Puma gearing  being suitable for 35s, and some people saying a puma on 35s still has a lower 1st gear than a td5 on 32s. 

So basically I just want to know whether anyone has attempted to  run a td5 on 35s, and if not possible, what ratio is recommended when regearing? (Transfer case or R&P)Screenshot_20210401-011419_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.7593dca4078fbe7e4f2391e0979d585f.jpgScreenshot_20210401-011439_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.47d3c0a719060cac9a1b5e1d950b83db.jpg

Screenshot_20210401-011402_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by R_divi
Format

There's plenty of people running 35" with standard gearing, shouldn't be a problem. It's only a 10% difference to standard.

I ran my 90 TD5 on 37", not as daily though. But it was fine, could even pull a trailer if need be. Comfortable motorway speed was not limited by the engine power (max speed in 4th, 5th just a long overdrive) but by stability due to the lift and tyres. At work we had a 110 TD5 on 35" that had to work for a living, never any problems, just keep it in in a lower gear with a heavy trailer if you need more torque at the wheels. And be a bit gentle when driving off.

You will notice reduced engine braking on steep down slopes, nothing you can't solve by feathering the brakes but it might feel fast at first.

Filip

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, Escape said:

There's plenty of people running 35" with standard gearing, shouldn't be a problem. It's only a 10% difference to standard.

I ran my 90 TD5 on 37", not as daily though. But it was fine, could even pull a trailer if need be. Comfortable motorway speed was not limited by the engine power (max speed in 4th, 5th just a long overdrive) but by stability due to the lift and tyres. At work we had a 110 TD5 on 35" that had to work for a living, never any problems, just keep it in in a lower gear with a heavy trailer if you need more torque at the wheels. And be a bit gentle when driving off.

You will notice reduced engine braking on steep down slopes, nothing you can't solve by feathering the brakes but it might feel fast at first.

Filip

Thanks @Escape @Chicken Drumstick, glad to hear that there has been some success with this setup. 

I will be taking the vehicle offroad, but not to the extent where I would attempt anything that could damage body work etc. The main aim of the vehicle is to be used as a daily and overland vehicle, with some tougher tracks inbetween.

The Tdci first gear low range ratio is about 65-1, the Td5 is about 43-1. The Tdci would have to be on substantially larger tyres for those to even out.... like 48” tyres with the Td5 on 32”. So you will never be close unless you change gearing (either diffs or t/case)

if you want factory Td5 gearing on 35” you would need a 3.87 diff ratio. Ashcroft make a 3.75, KAM (AllMakes) make a 3.8, and Great Basin Rovers make a 3.9...