Replace HD suspension

Hello everyone,

I own a Land Rover 110 1988 that was used by the dutch military. Originally it had a 2.5TD 19j engine and no power steering. I changed it to a 200tdi with power steering some years ago :) 

While the engine was out, I thought it would be a good idea to replace some other stuff as well on the front like suspension and turrets. In the back, HD springs were fitted, original I think, which raised the back. On the front, due to the age and the front wheel on the bonnet as extra weight, the front was a few cm/inches lower than the back. In the front I installed new turrets, new HD springs and new shocks. Now the vehicle sits a bit more level, see attachment. 

That was 2 years ago, now it sits on 255/85R16 BFG MUD KM2 ;)

In the meanwhile, I also had a Defender 110 2.4TDCI 2007. I replaced the shocks of that vehicle with Fox shocks (standard height) and I was very happy with them, transformed the ride. I recently sold the 2.4TDCI, don't have enough time to take care of both of them and the military one is my baby!

But the ride is of course.. very spartan with HD springs all around and Britpart shocks 🙄 I want to change that! I thought that HD springs result in better offroad capabilities but I recently learned that it is the other way around, HD springs flex less than standard springs which results in faster cross axle situations. I don't tow anything with this vehicle nor do I put a lot of weight in the back so no HD springs required there. The stance? Yes, the main reason I bought HD springs in the front is to support the extra weight of the winch and spare wheel so the vehicle would sit a bit more level. But I might be wrong?

So, to sum up, I want to change all the HD springs to standard springs and install Fox shocks all around. Questions:

- Will it lower the front? Will standard shocks be more pushed in due to the weight in the front?
- Would it help to install isolators that were used on discovery's but can also be used on Defender springs? (ANR2938) that could raise it a bit?
- I tend to not go to a 2" lift kit but like the stance as it is now on HD springs (which give a 1" lift?)
- Any other suggestions?

IMG_5247.jpg

Edited by Landy7
  • Like 1

If you can get a 1" lift spring, it may be the goldilocks moment, as the spring rate doesn't change much, but the length should, if you buy decent springs (read: not britpart). Any decent manufacturer should be able to tell you the spring rate and length for you to compare to what you have, and what is stock, normally only an email away if not on their site.

Nice looking truck, love the full tilt ;) 

I'm looking at OME springs, see attachment, found on the ARB website. For the front I've read some good comments on the 2751, lifting around 3cm (1.2"). I have a winch on the bumper & spare wheel on the bonnet and the OME 'calculator' suggets for the front the 2767 springs, looking at the list, they are rated higher than the 2751. So maybe the 2767 is a better choose since all the weight in the front. For the back 2752 will be fine, I never carry any heavy load. 

Or .. just stay with OEM springs and use isolators in the front to level? 

Question about shocks, if the chosen spring has a 1" lift, would it be better to install 2" lift shocks instead of standard height shocks?

OME_Springs.PNG