300tdi Oil thermostat

Hi, the oil thermostat seems to be ERC5923, but the workshop manual shows a spring and 2 washers with it for which I can find no part numbers. They don't seem to exists in the parts catalogue. All the pictures of ER5923 just show the wax cartridge, except Turners who show a cartridge, spring and one washer. Any ideas? Are these included in ERC5923? Thanks Nigel

ERC5923 is just the bulb thermostat, parts book only shows that, no mention of a spring or washer[s] 

my 200tdi has the same stat with the spring & 1 washer.

putting the part number in Brit-car website just shows the bulb thermostat [click on part number to see it] ERC5923

I can't find that part on the 300Tdi engine parts pages on Turners website. BUT its in the 200Tdi engine parts pages -----

https://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?query=ERC5923&xBrand=&part_type=&xSupplierID=&product-sort=&xPerPage=10

Showings as OUT OF STOCK 

I have a couple of spare used ones here if it helps, happy to post a set.

I can't see a need for 2 washers on it, its only opens when the oil is hot enough to be diverted to the oil cooler in the radiator right hand side tank.

Hi, Thanks Ralph, it is a bit of a conundrum, and thank you for the kind offer. At this point I don't need spares thanks, but the motivation was I think the O ring might be leaking slightly, so I thought while it is apart maybe I would replace the insides, after all the coolant thermostat seems to have a finite life so maybe this does, and I wasn't sure whether it was actually working, no easy way to find out. Then I looked in the WSM & parts manual and thought strange! Since posting this I have watched the Brittanica Restorations video on it, and I can see I can test the cartridge quite easily, and I don't suppose the spring and washers will be any the worse, I'll probably get a new cartridge anyway for what it costs.

• Like 1