Changing a Series 3 from LHD to RHD

Landycyprus

I see this is done a fair bit where I am living (all ex army series 3 are LHD but we drive on the left).  Is there anything in particular to look out for when converting series 3; anything I should check if looking at a previously converted vehicle or if considering getting one converted myself?

Like any conversion, it all depends on how well it was done to begin with.

Parts availability shouldn't be an issue for Landies, although there will obviously be items that are scarce, and then, it's down to the ability and interest level of the mechanic who did the job. Everything is bolt off/bolt on for the job, so I'd research what needs to be done to get an idea of where to look for things and then it should be a simple matter of identifying parts and checking workmanship.

Happy hunting for your new buy!

• Like 1

Goedemorgen,

You'll need to find actually quite a bit of parts that are " sided"

- speedo panel (I can swop your LHD for a RHD I have here)

- heater controls

- front axle ( the "arms under the swivels are "sided"

- wipers (need repositioning and a different motor) (I can swop your LHD for a RHD I have here)

- doorlocks

- heater inlet needs repositioning

- Heatermatrix needs to be turned around

- Dash undertray (the cut our is on the wrong side)

- brake- & clutch hydraulics need to be re-made

- loom will need work as it is "sided"

Quite do-able. Have done a few the other way around.

Please let us know if you need help and we love some pictures..

• Like 1

Arjan, you make it sound like a really major undertaking! 

Many of those things sound 'nice to have'? For example the car I am looking at doesnt have door locks so changing is not relevant! Heater controls and wiper controls can be on the wrong side; it is not important to have them in front of the driver.just inconvenient! Wipers being orientated the wrong way should not be noticed at our annual inspect here and the car will very rarely be used in the wet.  

Front axle is a big deal though.  I Need to look at what this entails.  Are you saying it the axle needs changing or just alteration?

What about the clutch and brake hydraulics needs changing?  This is due to distance to the pedals?

To do it properly it is a bit of work as the Series III is more "sided" than the earlier models.

Yes, you'll need to reposition the pedal so the hydraulics need to be done. However that is not overly difficult.

The "arms" (under the swivels) on which the track rod and the steering rod are bolted are sided for LHD and RHD.

Also, the handbrake mechanism is sided.

Bon Courage !

• Like 1