One for the rivet counters. Literally.

ian_s

It seems that some of the rivets around the rear tub capping have broken meaning parts of the tub are flexing quite badly, especially near the rear door latch.

looking at my parts book, i need part numbers 78885, 78410 and 78248

they are all 4.8mm, and are countersunk 13mm, domed 11mm and 14 mm long

my question is, do they need washers on back side if I can get to them, and is there really much point in buying both 11 and 14 mm long rivets, surely a 14mm would do both jobs?

An important thing is that they are closed rivets - so water doesn’t come through.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-90-110-Body-Capping-Closed-Rivets-x-50-/321827730979?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Unless the metal is torn they don’t need washer. 

I’ve never though known them break though. Is it possible that the body has been flexing for some other reason and that’s broken the rivets? 

Do you have the spare wheel on the door?  If so, you'll probably want one of these brackets to strengthen the rear tub around the door striker.

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/hdg-rear-capping-tub-door-lock-strengthener-bracket-lr-defender/

They were standard on defenders with rear doors but not on a series, they really do help stop the tub flexing around the striker.

32 minutes ago, dave88sw said:

Do you have the spare wheel on the door?  If so, you'll probably want one of these brackets to strengthen the rear tub around the door striker.

https://yrmit.co.uk/product/hdg-rear-capping-tub-door-lock-strengthener-bracket-lr-defender/

They were standard on defenders with rear doors but not on a series, they really do help stop the tub flexing around the striker.

I used to, but without the 3rd hinge or any kind of brace or support on the other side, so the door was flexing massively. I now have a swing away wheel carrier because of this exact problem.

How do those brackets fit? behind the striker and braced with the external galvanised plate?

Yes, the bracket goes behind the striker and is clamped in place by 3 of the rivets on the little external galvanised plate to the side of the door opening.  It does help a lot to stop flex around the striker, which, if nothing else prevents you having to slam the door to make it latch properly.