Jager Speedo: grating noise now no speed reading.

fearofweapons

Hello!

I was making stead progress yesterday in the 1974 SIII 88", about 55mph when the Jager speedo started to make a grating noise and the needle went around to underside of the stop. After a short distance the noise abated and the needle returned to somewhere in the 55MPH region. This happened again, and again until finally the noise was constant and the need jammed up against the underside of the stop. After a couple of mins of this the noise stopped and the needle returned to a resting position against the stop of 0 MPH. I was still making steady progress and the odometer continued to register additional miles travelled.

I have removed the speedo and found;

a) when nudged by hand the drag cup rotates against the drag spring moving the needle as it should 🙂

b) the part the cable attaches rotates and

i) turns the odometer as it should 🙂

ii) turns the thin bar magnet as it should 🙂

However the thin bar magnet does not turn the drag cup - no matter how fast it's turned. 😪

I have tried a drill and spun it 'till I got an extra mile on the odometer not a hint of movement from the drag cup and no noise either.

Any ideas on what might have failed? Or it is a question of a new ( to me ) speedo? ( If the latter anyone got a reasonable one for sale they can post or close to Leeds please? )

This is my wife's vehicle and every time I take it out I seem to brake something on it!  😞

regards,

Richard

Edited by fearofweapons
additional information

I have had two series speedos repaired by Speedograph Richfield, both have been perfect ever since , They can preserve the mileage if you wish and it is a fixed price and fast service, nothing to do with them , but happy with the service I received 
received 

E687B1A2-0DBD-4E24-AE61-20AA8B8168A2.png

• 3 weeks later...