300 Tdi Defender 90 - eating auxillary belts

After 3000 miles only my Defender 90 300 Tdi is removing rubber from the auxillary / serpentine belt.

This appeared to happen after the power steering pump was replaced, from the original one to an aftermarket one.

The tensioner and bearing are all good and are only 10k old also, the belt is a top quality Dayco.

The belt squeaks like mad, and it is not having rubber removed and you can also see a thread off the belt on the engine side of the belt.

I am guessing something must be misaligned but for the hell of me I cannot find this. Someone suggested spraying brake cleaner on the pulley to try and see which pulley may be misaligned.

The water pump was replaced about 10k miles also, and the belt never squeaked / squealed then, so I am ruling out the water pump.

I am guessing it is the power steering pump, since the squeak and the belt damage only occurred after this replacement. I find it hard to understand how the power steering pump can be misaligned!

Please help, any ideas appreciated. For safety I have a spare Dayco aux belt in the car, since its not looking good.

Did you check the two pumps side by side before you fitted them? I would ask in the “wanted” section for a genuine one and least try it to see if this solves the problem, not sure it the tensioner can fail to seat or not ? 

Edited by 92a
Spelling

It only needs a small misalignment of the pulley mounting gusset, the pump or its bracket to cause such trouble.  A bit of dirt, a casting defect in the new pump or even a loose mounting bolt could do it.

I think you need to remove the pump and the pulley from the pump, clean everything up and check for anything that looks out of true.  When you refit all, make sure the bolts are all tightened progressively and evenly to avoid anything being skewed by them.

I that doesn’t fix it, I’d be very suspicious of the new pump, given all was well previously.  If it’s spindle is misaligned, then there is little you can do to correct it - shimming the pump would be a fools errand as once the pulley is parallel to the others, it will be pushed out of line by the shims.

Update which resolved the issue.

Previously the power steering pump had let go, which was replaced. Then afterwards there was a engine speed related noise from the aux belt area.

This was assumed to be the tensioner bearing, since I was at a friends at the time, we went to a factors and bought a new bearing for the tensioner.

The noise continued... This was then diagnosed to a loose steering pump pulley wheel. Which I then installed new bolts with thread lock.

Then the noise from the squeaky aux belt continued, hence the start of this thread. I replaced the aux belt tensioner, that had the new bearing, and suddenly the squeaky belt goes away.

I will keep the tensioner and try and see what is wrong with it. Very strange indeed...

Thanks for all the help, now resolved. Cheers  

• Like 1