Wheel fitment question, thanks in advance.

Thomas the Tank

Hello all,

Im looking at a set of wheels and winter tires for my 1974. 

it’s quite the drive to pick them up so I want to see if they by chance would work as they are an aftermarket wheel and were originally on a 2004 Defender. 

They are a 16” wheel. 

Thanks for the help!

alex

04E8D934-3014-4541-94CB-76889E04F127.png

66C28262-A6FB-415A-B3B9-46AE075B5F84.png

0E093D39-2D2B-4C2B-96D8-ED9821E2917A.png

Yes, they will fit with no problems.  Make sure all are the same - that style wheel comes with at least two different offsets, some with the wheel nave (spoked area) being set with their outside diameter flush with the step in the rim, and others set back about 5/8”.  I learned that the hard way.

Those wheels are typically 7” wide rims, compared to 5” for normal 88” rims and 5.5 for 109” and Defender steel rims.  They take 7.50 tyres,  it won’t take 6.00 or 6.50 if you intended those.  You will also find the offset of the rims (whichever spec you get) will make the steering a bit heavier and more prone to pulling if you get any uneven braking from road surface, tyre or brake imbalance.  That will be further exacerbated if you fit 235/85 tyres.  Not a problem for most young to middle aged men, but can be difficult for anyone with arm or shoulder injuries, older men and many women.  Standard rims and 7.50 tyres (standard) make for far lighter steering and less pull.

Incidentally, there was a discussion on here about disintegrating tyres, quite horrifying, and I think they were all Cooper.  Not sure, but worth checking.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Snagger. I do plan to use the snow tires that are currently on those wheels. 

This purchase will make it easy to swap from winter to summer tires as I’ll have the extra wheels as well. I only drive in town and back roads. Also I’m the only driver 39 male with no issues on the heavy steering. 

the pics below are what is currently on my truck for reference.

thanks

BDA56AA5-3838-4F22-A4AA-C2DC61EF7F90.jpeg

401BCB76-8F7F-4868-B50E-B5CE2A4E3697.jpeg

• Like 1