Help needed.

HoSS

I am in the final stages of my (ashcroft) auto box conversion.

But i am having trouble working out the routing of the oil cooler pipes & the actual oil cooler mounting position.

Could anyone with a defender 50th auto, or other conversion take some photos of the routing?

Cheers, Paul

Guest diesel_jim

Sorry, i can't help with the oil cooler pipe routing, but i'm planning to do an auto conversion on my 90.

have you used the ashcroft center console unit?

do you have any close up pics of the mounting of it? (like up by the fusebox and the rear end by the bulkhead behind the seats?)

many thanks.

Sorry, i can't help with the oil cooler pipe routing, but i'm planning to do an auto conversion on my 90.

have you used the ashcroft center console unit?

do you have any close up pics of the mounting of it? (like up by the fusebox and the rear end by the bulkhead behind the seats?)

many thanks.

No, actually to keep the cost down & to have something custom, I didn't buy the console. I'm going to build myself.

There are a couple of pics on the ashcroft site if you furtle around.

I am in the final stages of my (ashcroft) auto box conversion.

But i am having trouble working out the routing of the oil cooler pipes & the actual oil cooler mounting position.

Could anyone with a defender 50th auto, or other conversion take some photos of the routing?

Cheers, Paul

Is it a standard cooler and standard pipework (ie 50th anniversary stuff)? If it is the cooler sits under the radiator behind the two pressed recesses (which need to be cut out to allow air flow) in the front panel. Sorry, its a bad description :rolleyes:

In terms of pipe routing, I've no idea. I didn't use a stanard cooler as, IMHO, its in a very silly place as it'll fill up with mud instantly off road and is vunerable to damage. If you plan on using the vehicle for anything more than greenlaning or gentle playing I'd think about moving it somewhere else. This is why quite a few people who do auto conversions on defenders (including me) use Laminova water to oil coolers as it allows you to place the cooler out of the way.

Is it a standard cooler and standard pipework (ie 50th anniversary stuff)? If it is the cooler sits under the radiator behind the two pressed recesses (which need to be cut out to allow air flow) in the front panel. Sorry, its a bad description :rolleyes:

In terms of pipe routing, I've no idea. I didn't use a stanard cooler as, IMHO, its in a very silly place as it'll fill up with mud instantly off road and is vunerable to damage. If you plan on using the vehicle for anything more than greenlaning or gentle playing I'd think about moving it somewhere else. This is why quite a few people who do auto conversions on defenders (including me) use Laminova water to oil coolers as it allows you to place the cooler out of the way.

I believe its a standard defender cooler that ashcrofts have supplied. (long thin flat, pipe exits on bottom face.)

The problem i have is, that with the pipe in what i think is the correct place - i.e. down LHS of engine, thruough gap under rad. The left hand pipe joint is in the right place, but the RHS does not go far enough right, and if pulled then the flex section contacts the crank pulley.

I begining to wonder if i have the right pipe.

p.s. I dont do much off road, so blockage isnt too much of an issue.