Puma truck cab Safety devices roll cage installation

Just in the process of installing the roll cage onto my Puma truck cab.

While cutting hole in front wing I discovered a cable that emerges from the bulk head behind the back of the wing with the hole cutter.

The sheath was damaged and the cable broken.

Strangely the cable that emerges from the bulkhead is black and thicker than the other side of the cut cable which is very thin purple cable. I traced 300mm up the engine side and stll only found the purple cable. 

It seams very strange and any help or advice appreciated. I am loathed to attach the purple cable to the black cable but on close inspection this appears to be the only choice.

No warnings on Safetydevices instructions re cables and I had to sought their advice re the front out rigger mount which needs the welded tube that the body mount bolt runs through to be cut. They responded same day and said they were aware of the problem but haven't updated the instructions yet. 

When I cut the second hole I was very careful to avoid the matching cable on the other side.

If it is the interior light (it sounds like it is) connecting it to earth is how it turns the interior light on. Take the door switch out if there's no wire on it the purple should connect to it, if it has a black wire coming from it then disappearing through the bulkhead then it's fairly likely the purple connects to it under the wing. Unfortunately I don't have any thing new enough to have interior lights so I can't check.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Direct physical connections to 0 volts (ground / chassis) are always Black. Other connections that are controlled to 0 volts by a device like the Alarm ECU or a switch, are not black wire.

The door switch wire connections at the posts are not direct to 0 volts, they are made through the switch and so are colour coded.

The connection from each of the door switches go to the Alarm ECU and are PU wire code which is Purple with a Blue trace, except the driver's door which has a separate wire SW Slate (Grey) with White. The ECU Alarm unit 'watches' these inputs because when a door opens, the door switch connects to 0 volts through the screw fixing and the ECU Alarm sees this input signal moving to 0 volts.

The interior lights have a +12V on one side and are turned on and off by the ECU Alarm when it sees the doors opening / closing.  This is when the interior light switch is in 'Door' position. In 'On' these lights are connected directly to 0 volts through a black wire.

So, are you talking about the passenger door and are you sure it is Purple and not Purple/Blue? If it is purple then it's not associated with the pillar switch side of the circuit because that is permanent fused +12V. Can you undo the door closed switch and pull it out of the A post to see what colour wire is connected to it?

Edit: I see you are referring to the Passenger side so the wire is PU. It might be as simple as cleaning the pillar switch. You could check for continuity from the connector tag to the screw mount. This is probably why it isn't working.

Edited by Peaklander
  • Thanks 1

Discovered it was purple not black on closer inspection, effected a repair and indeed it was the interior light (passenger door ).

Spent day fetling the wing holes and loosening bolts and fighting to fit the snorkel which is done as far as practical before we final fit the cage on Monday (hopefully 😀) Cage test fit went Ok.

Been mostly working on my own so pleased with progress.

I'm glad the two wires are the same colour and that the light works again.

I am confused that they are Purple and do not have a blue trace for the reason given earlier. You have better things to do now but it would be good to know. I have looked at the Puma circuit diagrams and in principle they are the same as my old 300TDi. That cable cannot be purple, as that is a direct connection to +12V.

It's all wrapped up now if I get a chance I'll have a closer look over weekend to confirm if there is a blue trace.

Going to do a bit more tinkering as need to remove my Gwyn Lewis mudflaps to enable me to remove the body mount bolt on Monday. This raises another question does it matter which way the body mount bolt is installed as I feel the nut would be better protected from corrosion tucked behind the Gwyn lewis mud guards and will make future removal easier as won't need to remove the mudflaps each time, not that I will be in a rush to remove the bolts in the future.