Rev Limits

Good day all,

Does anybody have information as to what the rev/rpm limits would be for a V8 NA?

The only data I have is as follows Max pwr @ 4000 rpm, Tq @ 2500 rpm.

I'm setting up a VDO marine tacho need to make sure I have the correct range.

Thanks,

In their standard form 5500 is about tops ………… after that the hydraulic lifters begin to pump and hold the valves open, also the bottom end is not bullet proof at above that sort of rpm ………… so if you regularity want to go to 6K + then fit Rhoads anti pump lifters, and cross bolt the bottom end ……… if you want to go beyond that, then the engine can be made to go up 8K ……… but here you are looking at significant £££ mods….. cross bolted block, lightened flywheel, fully balanced bottom end, solid lifters etc, etc,

In reality you will probably never need to push it beyond 5K in normal use.

Ian

In their standard form 5500 is about tops ………… after that the hydraulic lifters begin to pump and hold the valves open, also the bottom end is not bullet proof at above that sort of rpm ………… so if you regularity want to go to 6K + then fit Rhoads anti pump lifters, and cross bolt the bottom end ……… if you want to go beyond that, then the engine can be made to go up 8K ……… but here you are looking at significant £££ mods….. cross bolted block, lightened flywheel, fully balanced bottom end, solid lifters etc, etc,

In reality you will probably never need to push it beyond 5K in normal use.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

I think I'll stick with reality, my simple little beast should be just fine. 8K with one of these, why???? Wouldn't it be better to use a newer tech engine or a big block chev?

T

Yes you would think that would be more sense …… but the RV8 was very light (all alloy) and easy to tune ………… therefore it quickly became a favorite with the standing ¼ mile guys ………. I guess now time has marched on and some of the true yank beefy engines are now more widely available at reasonable cost.

:D

Ian

Yes you would think that would be more sense …… but the RV8 was very light (all alloy) and easy to tune ………… therefore it quickly became a favorite with the standing ¼ mile guys ………. I guess now time has marched on and some of the true yank beefy engines are now more widely available at reasonable cost.

:D

Ian

I had heard/read that the 3.5 was actually an Oldsmobile design :o

Please say it isn't so!

They probably died when they saw the dual carb install!

Tracy