Clutch

If I put a clutch friction plate in the wrong way round on a 200tdi would I get the gears, it's dropping into gear ok but it engages very low on the pedal, I have spoke to a fella here and he seems to think that if it is the wrong way round it wouldn't go into gear at all, any ideas?

The clutch plate hits the flywheel bolts if you put it the wrong way round because of the top hat section. But even if you did manage it, it wouldn't affect the way it works and splines would still engage.

More likely is you haven't adjusted the push rod on the master cylinder. Under the metal plate on the petal box are two nuts either side of the pedal pivot. I can't remember the exact setting (it's in the manual) but it's something like loosen the nuts lift pedal up tighten the nut that holds the pedal up but leaving a little free play, then tighten the other. If the bite point moves then goes solid you've not left enough free play.

Mike

The pushrod is all adjusted 140mm off the floor, do you think I would get the gears if it was wrong? and if I have put it in the wrong way and it's up against the flywheel bolts, surely it would be rattling to hell wouldn't it? that's for getting back Mike

That's what I wanted to here Steve, I'm going to bleed it when the wife gets back, thanks for getting back, quite a relief to read your post to be honest, the thought of taking it all apart again through my own stupidity was to say the least frustrating, all the best fella