LT77 Suffix

As above, another quick one if anyone has a moment, obviously there's a difference somewhere but I've no idea, for example a 50A to a 55A LT77, what's the difference there, I'm assuming it's going to be ratio, so is there a massive difference? I'm also assuming any suffix will fit any bell housing on an 1985 110, help me now before I buy the wrong thing, all the best guys

Sorry to go on, Ashcroft are closed till Monday now, and reading the link you sent explains Defender and Disco boxes eloquently, but do you know if for example that a 61A would fit where a 50A was, its is a so called long stick, I certainly wouldn't call you on it, just wondering as I can't ask Ashcroft and I'd like to buy this box tomorrow if it's compatible, sorry its late fella, all the best

Probably will fit but with a few parts swapped from the 55A to the 61A,

On the link to the gearboxes it has a couple of paragraphs on what short & long stick are at the 'What they arrive with' text, I haven't had to swap a short to a long stick, so I can't advise any further. 

As far as I know there are 3 types of lt77 for land rovers.

Long bell housing ribbed, large spigot bush and short gear stick is diesel  range rover or discovery.

Long bell housing but smoother, small spigot bush, short gear stick is V8 range rover or discovery.

Both have the transfer stick Infront of the gear stick, the ratios are similar enough to not notice. It is possible to fit a V8 box on a diesel but you need to change the bell housing to a diesel version and fit a special spigot bush into the crank.

Short bell housing, large spigot bush, long gear stick is 90/110 and defender petrol (2.25 and2.5) and diesel. The transfer stick is behind the gear stick and the ratios are a little lower than disco I believe.

It is possible to fit a diesel disco box to a 90/110 but it moves the gear stickers into the seatbox and you need the move the engine forwards.

Finally I don't know what gearbox the disco MPI or the factory 90/110/defender V8 used. They switched to R380 at 300tdi around 1994.

Mike