Defender purchase advice

45 minutes ago, pete3000 said:

If it's going to be a daily drive, I'd want essential comforts such as aircon and heated screens instead of electric windows, airbags and sunroofs.

Also look at fuel consumption between say the td5 and the tdci. Does the tdci have tilt and rake adjustment on the steering wheels?

Pete

As far as I know, no defender has ever had that!

On 4/6/2023 at 12:18 PM, monkie said:

I'm surprised to see the amount of dislike for the Puma dash, I see it as a huge and long overdue upgrade and it has made me dislike the older style dash in my current 110. I do love the sound of the Td5 engine over the 4 cylinder engines... All this variety in personal preference goes to prove that anyone looking to buy a Defender for the first time really must check a few different variations out to see what you like and what works for you.

Horses for courses.  The later Defenders had enormously powerful heaters in the dash and many had AC, but they also had less leg room, much less storage space and lost the iconic and very practical vent flaps.  Of my 109 and my wife’s TDCI, I much preferred my dash.   Likewise the seats - I used early Defender seats, which I found much more supportive than the later type.  Others find the opposite.  Getting out and driving as many as possible to know not only the options and preferences but also what various aspects should be like rather than assuming a faulty or worn out vehicle is normal is crucial.  How many times do we hear complaints about how bad LR brakes and steering are?  They are good when maintained, but faulty systems are common enough that many mistake them for normal.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, landroversforever said:

If you narrow down your location a bit further, even just to the nearest big town or county, someone will probably know somewhere local to you that will have a selection to try. 

^ this, sure OP would be welcome at any club event and be able to sit in / drive a few as well as crawl under & ask all the questions etc.

• Like 1