OT: 13 pin trailer electrics

Technically this has nothing to do with a land rover, but guessing there's quite a lot of relevant knowledge on here!

I need to replace the 13 pin plug on our caravan, which is corroded and playing up (at least, I think it's the source of the problem - and it needs replacing anyway).

Are there any particularly good brands to go for (reasonably well sealed and reliable - easy to take apart without wrecking them)? Any I should really avoid?

I have always tried to use aluminium Hella plugs and sockets, but they seem increasingly difficult to find.

They have a drain facility at the bottom, which a lot of the cheap plastic ones do not seem to have. I also keep mine sprayed regularly.

I need to fit a towbar to one of my vans, but I have thought of filling the back of both the plug and socket with potting compound.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:16 PM, smallfry said:

I have always tried to use aluminium Hella plugs and sockets, but they seem increasingly difficult to find.

They have a drain facility at the bottom, which a lot of the cheap plastic ones do not seem to have. I also keep mine sprayed regularly.

I need to fit a towbar to one of my vans, but I have thought of filling the back of both the plug and socket with potting compound.

I once bought a genuine LR Defender towing loom at an auto jumble. The back of the socket was indeed potted. 

I've more recently bought 13 pin sockets of no known brand (evilbay), and they seem reasonably well made.

I ended up ordering a couple of Jaeger plugs. Hella metal seven pin plugs are fairly easy to get, and cheap, but I couldn't find any 13 pin ones.

Haven't arrived yet. I'll try to remember to update this thread when it's been on for at least a couple of years! 

Not sure what the old one is, doesn't appear to be branded. Nor do I know how old it is - the caravan is about 13 years old, but the plug casing looked newer than that.

The one on the 8ft trailer frequently has water in it but has never given trouble despite that - I suspect it has better quality terminals.