Mobile gantry crane

De Ranged

On 8/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, De Ranged said:

its better than christmas lol there is my vision sitting there all nice, clean, sharp..... and first thought is did I get it all right, guess i'm just odd lol 

Hmmmm first profile I go to weld in (the round profile for the center of the caster wheels) center hole is spot on a bit of die-grinder to make it fit snug to the bearing tube, go to weld the center assembly into the outer wheel and it don't fit, 2mm over on dia 🫢...... I'll blam it on the chinese vernier I tossed into the bin last week because I found the inside and outside jaws didn't match any longer lol

The 2mm was easy to sort only took a few min's to throw them up in the lathe and make them fit 

Think these will do lol rather booty 

1EpV4Du.jpg

The more annoying problem is lack of welding power..... the landlords penny pinching lol to stop me blowing the pole fuse, he has dropped the shop breakers to 16 amp, the center rib is 12mm plate the tube is 16mm wall... if I was at work I'd want 25v+ on 3 phase for that, here I'm 23v on single phase and thats as far as I can push my welder on the 16 amp jumper lol I can get between 75-100mm of weld before the lights go dark and I have to find the jumper and reset it lol 

I don't have any issues with the strength of those welds its just the penitration wont be what I'd like
If I'm allowed to build my shed I'm going 3 phase !

Oh and just before I left the shop last night I went to start cutting the solid bar for the axle shafts etc go to get a length of 20mm bar from the rack..... its all 25mm bar I don't have any 20mm.... so much for my eye-ometer

• Like 1

I'm assuming you're running MIG at the moment? If so can you flip over to stick?

I can quite happily run my inverter TIG (which will do stick) off a 13A socket and burn through a 3.2mm rod at 125Aish which I've found to be plenty for 20mm plate. I am Ving the plate nice and deep though but that's standard practice on something that thick. Those joints have held up quite happily to a few tonnes on them (the headstock attachments for the JCB's pallet forks).

More specific to that inverter but it'll run 200A off a 16A breaker which will handle a 4mm rod but I've never had the need to try it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

I'm assuming you're running MIG at the moment? If so can you flip over to stick?

I can quite happily run my inverter TIG (which will do stick) off a 13A socket and burn through a 3.2mm rod at 125Aish which I've found to be plenty for 20mm plate. I am Ving the plate nice and deep though but that's standard practice on something that thick. Those joints have held up quite happily to a few tonnes on them (the headstock attachments for the JCB's pallet forks).

More specific to that inverter but it'll run 200A off a 16A breaker which will handle a 4mm rod but I've never had the need to try it.

I almost considered running a 4mm E7018 catch is I have to drag the geni outside (160-180amps) too much to run the welder on the 16amp jumper lol I get about a 1/2 to 1/3rd of a rod from experiance. I've got 3.2 E7016, 16TC but I've found above 115amps its too much amps and it tends to undercut on the top side 110amps is where I normally sit with a weldwell 16TC at this I know I have 3mm of penitration about the same as this Mig on 23v.... the bonus would be i could burn a whole rod but then I'd have all the clean up.... and being honest I'm better on the trigger lol 

That is a good idea I might use them on some of the frame where its easy to clean.... would be good to use them up (being a low hydrogen rod they absorb moisture out of the air and become a pain to use)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A wee update since there hasn't been much going on in the shed forum 

Bases are done and painted (I've gotten the A frames done and painted as well)

5gLFF9Z.jpg

With moving out of my old shop I noticed I had a T handle for my motorbike lift so I modified things to use that.... they roll easily, even over the rubish that is being dragged out from under stuff that is getting moved out 

• Like 3