where for tracking?

Ok, switched back to all terrains last weekend as running around on muds is v noisy and expensive on fuel when you do the miles I do. Anyway the all terrains are slightly bigger - and I noticed a rubbing noise on full left lock. Just had a look and rear edge of passenger side tyre is touching front radius arm! Ooh err! :huh: Which suggests maybe the tracking is out?

So my question is, how easy is it to adjust the tracking, and more importantly, get it right (!), or should I get a garage or whoever to do it for me, and if the latter, who in either the Southampton or Ringwood area is good? Is it a case of any old tyre place, or is this a bit more speciallist?

And another question - noticed the fuel lift pump is leaking a bit, so how easy is this to replace? Is it simply a case of disconnect and unbolt, or more complicated? Saw the post about dropping the manual lever into the sump, which scared me a bit, seeing as have already destroyed one engine in last 6 months! :unsure:

All on a 300tdi

Cheers

The tracking MAY be out, it might not. It might be fine, in which case you need to adjust the steering lock stops on the front of the swivel housings to stop the tyres rubbing. Adjusting the drivers side lock stop will stop the passenger side tyre rubbing on the radius arm and vice versa.

It is relatively easy to check your own tracking. This is from an old post of mine:

'It is an easy diy job to check the tracking on a coil sprung landy. Adjustment varies in difficulty dependant on whether the threads of the balljoints in the track rod are siezed or not.

All you need is an old extending car ariel strapped to a length of wood, or a couple of thin lengths of wood/metal rod/tube or similar which can be overlapped.

With the wheels straight ahead, extend the aerial(or overlap your 2 lengths of wood or whatever- can hold together with elastic bands) to fit exactly between the two front wheels at the rim(in front of the axle), parallel with the ground and at the axle centre line. Compare the length you get with the same point behind the axle. Ideally you should be aiming for the length to be the same or up to about 1mm wider in front of the axle than behind.

If the tracking needs adjusting, loosen the clamps on both ends of the track rod (behind the axle) and rotate the track rod whilst leaving the balljoints bolted to the steering arms. Because one end of the track rod has a left hand thread, the track rod will get longer or shorter depending on which way you rotate the track rod tube. When you have got the tracking correct, tighten up the clamps.'

Is it oil or diesel leaking from the pump? If it is oil, it is likely to require a new mounting gasket. Just unbolt the pump from the block, remove old gasket, clean the faces, fit a new gasket and refit the pump. If it is diesel leaking, it could need the fuel connections tightening. A new pump is easy to fit.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

I have used my local 'Just Tyres' dealer on my 90 for the past 7-years or so, they check free (most places do) and charge a reasonable £24 if adjustment is required.

When I first took it in I had just fitted new TRE's and so I knew it would be out, they set it up and over the next 6-years it never needed adjusting again, the steering was spot on and tyre wear on the BFG AT's very good (almost negligable in fact). Last year I fitted new (solid) steering bars & TRE's and instead of going back to JT I popped into my local garage, they set it up but it didn't feel QUITE right so I went to JT again and they confirmed that the local place had got it slightly out so they set it up correctly and I got a refund from the other dealer. Needless to say that when JT set the tracking they are more than happy for me to watch and see what (if any) adjustment is required.

Confirmation indeed that as long as the rest of the steering is set up corrertly, it is noticeable if the tracking is only slightly out and of course the cost of increased tyre wear also should be taken into consideration.

Cheers Litch - will bear them in mind if I need to. Haven't had a chance to have a look yet!

Did manage a quick squizz at lift pump etc - it is diesel leaking, but seeping out around injector (2nd from rear), so tightened all obvious bits a little (they weren't exactly lose) and all seems about 90% better now. Is this common?

Ta

James