Engine note changing

JohnnoK

I recently replaced the engine in my Disco II Td5 and I've noticed a strange thing.

When I start the engine and its idling it sounds like the old engine did, quiet and "normal" for want of a better description, but as soon as I give a bit of throttle, the engine note changes noticeably to a much harsher diesel sound that is more like the older generation engines than the Td5.  Both old and replacement engines are 10P and I have not yet done the injector coding, but my Nanocom tells me the cylinder balances are from +2 to -1 across the 5 cylinders. The turbo is the one off my old engine, so the wastegate etc is good.  It starts on the button even in what passes for winter in Cape Town (+4 at the lowest) and the one full tank of fuel it has had delivered essentially the same mileage as the old engine.

Any ideas on what could be doing this?

Sigh, that is going to have to wait until I get back from work.

The coup in Gabon has not gone off the rails, so they reopened the borders again and I leave tomorrow. I'll try and remember to update this when I get back and have recovered from  my carpal tunnel surgery a few days later.