300tdi Auto no drive

L19MUD

My 300tdi auto challenge truck has been sat in the shed for 3 years, it drove in there with no issues.

Went to get it out and had no drive and could not move in and out of high and low or difflock. I have freed all that off and with 1 wheel in the air I can spun freely out of gear and not spun when in high or low.

Moving it from park you can hear a change in noise but there is no drive in any gear at all, forward or reverse.

Opened the level plug and clean ATF flowing out

Where do I go next? Seems very strange to suddenly be a problem. Cable is connected and moving the shifter ok too

18 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Does the autobox not have a dipstick? 

No and the sump looks modified to me too. There is a temperature sensor (I think) on the front left face. Then a level bung on the right plus what could be another sensor

It has been modified to run an oil cooler on the back of the cab with a temperature controlled fan. I could easily disconnect one of those pipes and add some ATF. Can the be overfill? I checked levels when it was not running

I would disconnect one cooler line and see if the line/cooler spits out ATF, that would show the pump is OK. 

Otherwise if may just be fluid level..... Without a dipstick I'm not sure how to top up, but your suggestion sounds fine, assuming it is low, as far as too much, possibly but as the internals are bathed in it, I doubt you would do too much damage with too much, just maybe start some leaks.... 

• Like 1

Well to close this out my mate suggested I run it for a while in drive to get he oil in the right places with a wheel up.  I did this and after 2 mins it has full drive! I have been starting and stopping it after short amounts of time as the coolant system is not plumbed it. What a result.

Then to offset that good bit of luck the Land Rover gods popped the front drivers air bag on my L322 RR so I have just been and recovered that 🙈

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 5:58 PM, Bowie69 said:

Otherwise if may just be fluid level..... Without a dipstick I'm not sure how to top up,

As in the later P38: start the engine, go through the gears and with the engine running remove the filler plug. Oil should just pour out, if not add until it does. Not the easiest way and far from comfortable whether it's lying on your back or standing under a lift with a running car just above your head... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1