1988 LR 90 v8 - Facet Red Too Fuel Pump

So next on my list is my fuel pump. Currently it’s the standard in tank version and my fuel lines looks like it’s made up of 10 pieces of pipe :) and pump is making some lovely noises at times! So im thinking of moving to Facet external fuel pump. My question is what part do I replace the fuel pump from the tank with? Is there an alternative part that’s just got the pipe?

assume for fitting, pump should be as close to tank as possible and as low as possible and ideally angled slightly upwards? And then a filter I assume can sit in engine bay before the carb?

thanks as always :)

Edited by Mediamab

Ah ok this is useful to know :) assume advice then would just be to replace it with an original pump then? Is there a regulator that’s advised? I assume original fuel pump is pressured too high for carb?

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

An 88 V8 should have a low pressure fuel pump anyway, shouldn't need a regulator. 

Ah ok so just buying a direct replacement and replacing the lines should do the trick?

12 hours ago, Mediamab said:

Ah ok so just buying a direct replacement and replacing the lines should do the trick?

Yes.

I can vouch that facets are noisy buggers, mine's under my seat and going back to an in-tank pump is very much on my to-do list!

• Thanks 1

Is there a specific model of in tank that you guys would advise? And just to check even with my carburettor I would need a regulator? I’m pretty sure mine has one now but it may just be being used as a filter and regulator isn’t restricting…

thank you!!

You shouldn't need a regulator but if you have flooding it could help fix it. Four barrel carbs haven't really been that successful for off road use. The factory system uses a full flow system which returns unused fuel back to the tank, keeping the fuel in the lines flowing and preventing problems with fuel heating and vaporizing in the lines.

Ah ok great thank you!! So ultimately, even ignoring the noise, the original setup is best? And I’ll just replace pump and fuel lines? Is a filter integrated in the pump or worth having one before it hits the carb?

I have been using aftermarket ones in my 110 for over 10 years without any problem.  The factory one could be made by the same manufacturer anyway.   You could by 10 aftermarket for the price of 1 just for different packaging. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Paul C said:

I have been using aftermarket ones in my 110 for over 10 years without any problem.  The factory one could be made by the same manufacturer anyway.   You could by 10 aftermarket for the price of 1 just for different packaging. 

The answer I was definitely hoping for haha

I’ll check but I’m pretty sure I’m not mistaking a pump for a filter! I’ll come back with tail between my legs tomorrow maybe ha! Thanks for all the info, super useful! Now I have the fun task of getting all the parts to order and give the truck some love finally. Just left with working out if tapping noise from engine is the exhaust manifold or something else!

My 3.9 has a piston tap when it's cold, ever since I fitted it 10 years ago. Occasionally get exhaust leaks but noisy cam and lifters is common on older engines too. 3.9 upgrade is the best thing you can do. You can keep the injection on or as I did use the original carbs and manifold, your 4 bbl would probably work better on a 3.9 as they are a bit big for the 3.5.

Yeah the tapping seems to happen as the engine gets warm and I know a number of people have mentioned common on 3.5 for exhaust manifold to leak and sound that way. My manifolds seemed to be held on with sporadic sized bolts and anything between 0 and 8 washers so part of me feels a leak is likely which I guess makes sense? Unsure what else I should explore though. Still learning about the v8 but its original so quite like to keep to it for now, not too fussed for that is low compression and doesn’t have a great deal of power ha

I have used 3.9 disco manifolds on mine since fitting the 3.9, also on the new 4.6, they flow really well, though I put mine into a single pipe straight after the manifold to increase the torque, the rangerover used twin pipes which increases the top end horsepower but doesn't gain as much torque. Originally used the Disco 1 front pipes, mine had the cats removed and they fitted straight on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul C said:

You shouldn't need a regulator but if you have flooding it could help fix it.

No - if you have flooding that's a problem with the carb that needs fixing, not bodging round by messing with other stuff.

The system doesn't need a regulator - what would it be regulating??? The carb float sets the level and everything else returns to the tank, pumping more or less fuel in the top doesn't change that.

@Mediamab - honestly just stick with the stock pump & tank, it makes life so much easier and there's zero benefit in fitting anything else. Avoid Britpart, but that doesn't mean you have to buy genuine.

• Like 1

Well I was told it had a regulator fitted when the carbs were upgraded hence my question and I haven’t looked through fuel setup to check. I’d assume common sense if you have a high pressure pump that you’d need to regulate pressure, obviously I was wrong assuming my pump was high pressure

i have no issues with flood

ok appreciate a definite no. Just trying to ensure I’m replacing parts with the best and most reliable